Better late than never Chippy

Richard Steane 1

Well, I ordered the full pack yesterday and now eagerly await delivery of the same.

Whether I get to start the build this year is in the hands of the man who is going to build a bedroom extension on top of the garage (my workshop). At the very least the roof has to come off so the place will have to be cleared and that will put a hold on model building. I'll keep you posted.

Regarding my question to Danny about the weight of the Chippy, I had not dreamt the 5kg figure. What I had done was watch the short video on the Traplet web page about it and over the presenters shoulder I could see specifications that include the ubiquitous 5kg.

Anyway, after Danny's reply I am confident in proceeding with the lower power figures and will select a suitable drive system.

Thanks Danny.

• 2 weeks later...

My pack arrive a few days ago and I have been studying the plans to get my head around the build requirements. I have also been looking at the posts that you guys have made (I still have a lot to read) to see what useful information I can glean.

I like the top hinged cowl and the side entry for the battery that I have seen posted and I will go down this route. Although I'm not going for rivets etc as I want a model to fly rather that exhibit my building skills, the hinged cowl reflects the real chippie and is a practical solution for the model.

I'm hoping to squeeze a 5s/5000mAh battery in as I already have several for other models. Has anyone achieved a good balance with a battery in this position without adding extra weight anywhere?

Anyway, I'm going to start with the rudder and am going for the MK2 version, so a little extra work to do there.

Cheers for now.

Richard

Great news Richard I look forward to regular updates

The plan is for a Mk1 Chipmunk and the cowl, canopy, rudder and tailplane are for a Mk1. If you aren't worried about originality and the canopy and cowl being slightly wrong then make it a T10 etc. I wouldn't have done if I had noticed the difference early on

There is one Mk1 still about should you change your mind though

Now....

And then.....

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have read through what seems like hundreds of posts and made notes of those things that I think will be relevant to my build so that I can learn from those who have gone before, So I am now ready to start sticking some balsa and will be following Danny's lead and starting with the fin and then the rudder.

As I always wanted the colour scheme to be the traditional RAF colours, I have decided that my Chippie will be WB624. The real version being resident in the Newark Air Museum that is not too far from where I live. The kind man at the museum let me go inside the ropes so I have quite a few photos for reference, although aircraft are quite close together so I couldn't get a good overall shot. But here are a couple of pictures to show what it looks like.

Sorry that I can't promise that my model will have rivets but I will be looking to include larger items such as lights.

Cheers Richard

wb624_1.jpg

wb624_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The fin and rudder construction is finished so here are a few pictures showing how it was done.

img_8742.jpg

I opted to make a simple jig to construct the fin. An offcut of aluminium angle spot glued to a piece of chipboard to hold the fin post and support strips carefully cut to the correct thickness from the waste from around the ribs.

img_8744.jpg

Ribs and first of 3 laminations for the leading edge.

img_8747.jpg

First skin. Oops a bit of rough cutting there!

img_8749.jpg

Fin with hinges.

img_8751.jpg

img_8752.jpg

And there we have them both. Rebates are cut for the shrouds but I'll fit those before final sanding and covering.

• 3 weeks later...

Well there has been a short interlude in Chippie building while a finished putting together an ARTF that I couldn't resist buying from a Club member who is selling up. Then there was the trip to Didneyland Paris with the grandchildren!

Anyway, I have done a bit of work on the tailplane and elevator, but more of that later. So I thought before going too much further I should resolve the problem of hinges potentially wearing out. This is my solution although I can't 100% assure myself that its good enough but I reckon it's a whole lot better than before.

img_9078.jpg

The photo could be better but I think you get the idea. I have turned up a shoulder screw with a 2.5mm diameter plain length with an M2 thread below. One half of the hinge is locked against the shoulder with an M2 nut whilst a plastic washer (cut from a milk bottle) sits between the two halves. Only one half rotates on the 2.5 diameter that has a much larger bearing area and the whole assembly feels much tighter and smoother.

Cheers for now.

Richard

Ok, so here comes the tailplane and elevator. Took a while to sort out the discrepancies before I could start gluing together. Some of the elevator slots in the spar were in the wrong place and the plan was not symmetrical about the centre line in some places, but eventually figured out what I thought was right and wrong. Filled some slots in and cut new ones.

So look out Danney, here comes another building jig, it's bigger this time!

img_8878.jpg

img_8880.jpg

img_8881.jpg

img_9079.jpg

img_9080.jpg

I have done some rough shaping and profiled the leading edge of the elevators and checked the clearance with the shrouds pinned in place. It's a bit close but I'm going to leave it there until I get nearer to the covering stage and then do the finish sanding and fitting then.

Spent some time this week looking at the wing and getting my head around how to put it together along with the comments on the different forum threads. Decided to use 2 servos for the ailerons, I reckon it's a better way giving a short link and getting rid of bell cranks and long thin rods. I'm dreaming up something a bit different for the flaps but more on that another time.

I have been reading Colin's thread about how he built in 2 degrees of washout and been wondering if I should do the same. Was hoping he had completed some flying time and given some feedback but his thread stops way short of that. I'll sleep on it a bit longer.

Cheers Richard

Sounds as if I've been a bit lucky to get both lots straight first time Danny.

Do you have any thoughts about washout? I'm assuming that you did not do it on yours and to be honest I have not done it before with my limited building experience. I understand the reasons for it but I don't know what effect it is likely to have on flying performance.

Cheers Richard

I wouldn't call it luck i would call it skill and learning from others mistakes
Washout.... now this is only my opinion, and in aeromodelling everyone has one, and often they differ. Now I understand why we have washout. However washout reduces the wings overall lift, this means that the model has to fly faster to recover that loss. If we always fly the model above the stall speed then it will not stall. The more washout the higher the stall speed, and the more likely we are to get close to the stall speed unknowingly. Granted it may not drop a wing with washout but it will still stall. Does that make any sense?
So I tend to build as per the full size, if it had 2 degrees of washout so will mine. In my mind stay above the stall speed, keep the nose down on long and short finals you will be fine. But as I say, that is just my opinion, knowing my own flying abilities.

Cheers
Danny

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has been a while since I posted but I have been making progress, honest!! So here are the pictures to prove it.

I decided to construct the centre section first and then build each wing half from it setting up to give the appropriate dihedral.

Do you think there are enough weights to keep it straight ??

img_9081.jpg

Now the set up for the first half.

img_9084.jpg

I just happened to have this piece of 1.6mm plate salvaged from somewhere and used a variation of the "sine bar" principle to set it at the required angle. One end sits on the building board and a 19 dia roller at the appropriate distance raises the other end. It might look a bit Heath Robinson but it works.

img_9086.jpg

So that's the spars and ribs in place. The packing under the trailing edges is set to give 2 degrees washout.

img_9131.jpg

The wing removed from the board in the background with top sheeting fitted. Checked the dihedral when I first removed it from the board and much to my surprise (well I had expected some error) it was spot on the the millimetre so I'm chuffed with that.

In the foreground are the flap and aileron in the process of construction as one piece, to be split later.

img_9133.jpg

Now I'm just setting up the flap hinges and operating system. As I have opted to put in separate aileron servos I have more room in the centre section so I have decided to ditch the bell crank idea with it's awkward position close to the rib. In it's place is a torque tube made from carbon fibre tube operated by a centrally mounted servo with pushrods at either end of the tube to operate the flaps. You can just see it in the top LH corner of the picture.

The plan as before has it's problems but now I have sorted my way through one half, hopefully the second will be much quicker. But there is a "but" and that is the builder starting work to day and pretty soon he will be digging a hole in the workshop floor. Ooh ek!!!

Cheers for now

Richard

• 1 month later...

Well at last the wing construction is finished. As others have said before it has not been easy and there has been a little re-working along the way. But now I have a wing with undercarriage mounts, shrouds, working flaps and ailerons already for final sanding and covering.

So now it is on to the fuselage when I get back from a couple of weeks holiday, so in the meantime here are a few pictures of the final stages of wing build.

img_9140.jpg

Centre section set up on sine table, ribs and spars for second section in place.

img_9144.jpg

U/c torsion bar bending.

img_9145.jpg

U/c mountings complete and view of flap linkage.

img_9147.jpg

View of completed upper surface.

img_9148.jpg

Underside

Cheers for now.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Building work has finally started on our house extension so my model build area is filled with roof supports, bags of cement, lintels and goodness knows what else.

I have managed to cut out everything for the battery box and the new formers to fit around it so here are a few photos of it dry fitted together..

img_9362.jpg

I have designed it so that there is a split line down the fuselage join line so that each half (minus the motor mount plate) can be built in with each shell half. There are a lot of interlocking joints so I hope that this will be a strong but light construction. The motor mount plate will be fitted and glued into place as part of the work to join the shell halves.

img_9363.jpg

img_9364.jpg

Underside view, I have made provision for two M5 wing fixing screws.

img_9365.jpg

Well that's going to be it for a while. So watch this space.

Cheers, Richard

• 2 years later...

img_20180503_143556.jpgimg_20180503_143357.jpgimg_20180503_143316.jpgIt is unreal that it is two years since my last post but months of chemotherapy in 2017, a major operation, three weeks in hospital with recovery time afterwards in 2018 have rather got in the way of model building. All is well now and so just in case any one was wondering (probably unlikely I know), yes I have finished the chippy. Well almost anyway, battery cables to connect to ESC and safety plug, decals etc as you can see and a few other bits and bobs.

No photos of the final build in progress I'm afraid, too busy getting it done, but three photos attached of the nearly finished chippy.

Cheers, Richard