Better late than never Chippy

Richard Steane 1

Well Chippie model WB624 finally made it's maiden flight at Buckminster a week or two ago with my good friend John Putt on the sticks. It took to the air easily and a couple of clicks on the trims were all that was required. We kept the flight short to around three minutes so that we could check on the battery and temperatures.

The wind was rougher than I would have liked and a gust at the last second caused a heavy landing on the starboard wheel that bent the torsion bar mounting rearwards. This put an end to further flights as it was not possible to straighten it at the field.

After a little surgery this is now repaired but I am waiting on the delivery of softer springs to put in the oleos, as I reckon the originals are too strong. I'm hoping softer springs will help take the sting out if it happens a gain.

Here is a final photo with the livery applied.

Richard

finished model_1.jpg

Posted by Richard Steane 1 on 18/06/2019 00:13:03:

After a little surgery this is now repaired but I am waiting on the delivery of softer springs to put in the oleos, as I reckon the originals are too strong. I'm hoping softer springs will help take the sting out if it happens a gain.

If you don't already have them, Dubro 'low bounce' wheels are worth spending the extra on. They absorb landing shocks very effectively and damp out lively landings as a bonus. Use them on all but small (sub 60" or so ) models now..

Edited By Cuban8 on 18/06/2019 09:07:46