Vickers Supermarine Spitfire

ASH.

Advert

Thanks for posting that ASH!

It was good to see MH434 featured at the end of the 1983 film. Over 30 years later MH434 - now bearing the squadron markings ZD-B rather than the (at the time) owner's initials (AC-S, Sir Adrian Swire) - was one of the many Spitfires flying in the Battle of Britain commemorations this summer.

That was excellent Ash, thank you very much. The reference to Neil Williams dates this, he must have been dead for around 30 years, one of the greatest pilots and sadly killed ferrying a Spanish He111 to the UK. I will never forget seeing him fly the Shuttleworth Spitfire VB at Old Warden shortly after restoration, probably the most exciting demonstration of a Spitfire that I have ever seen.

In this production the Spitfire IX being flown at the end is MH434, the plane flown for so many years by another great, the late Ray Hanna. On Sunday I will be at Duxford, flying in a Dragon Rapide and formating with this same plane. If my photos from the air are good enough I will post them on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

What a brilliant film. Thank you Ash for posting. I went through flying training with Mark Hanna (sadly also deceased in an aviation accident), and his father, Ray, flew a fly past and display at our graduation parade in1980 at RAF Linton-On-Ouse. He used MH434, it was fantastic then, and it still looks fantastic!

Tim