Mick Reeves Gangster 63 Lite

Ok. So a bit of background. I am a 23 year old mechanical engineering student in my masters year at Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen. I have flown model aircraft with my father for about 15 years. Last year I fully moved up to Aberdeen to work in one of the universities halls and missed going to my club meetings back home in Montrose and as I didn't know when I was going to be home having a project on the go was pointless. So this year I have taken it upon myself to have a project on the go in Aberdeen. I also required a project where I could learn some important skills such as building and repairing airframes and covering, this is important as I will probably be moving to England in search of work and won't have access to my go to airframe technician (father). So over the past couple of weeks I have been procuring tools consumables and the all important kit, a Mick Reeves Gangster 63. I was able to visit home last Friday and took said kit with me for other members to inspect, as I am the youngest member in the club (Youth membership, or the lack there of, is something of a problem in the club, if anyone has any ideas how to solve this please get in contact ASAP) the old guard were pretty impressed with my choice. I will be using this page to regularly update my progress from start to finish. The building board (a sheet of plasterboard covered in book covering adhesive plastic) has been prepped and is ready to go, Building starts Tuesday night.

Advert

Here was mine - it buried itself spectacularly when the elevator servo failed.

I used an SC46 with a tuned pipe, that was ample power, but if I built another it would have 61 in it

gangster1.jpg

I eventually used a balsa built up cowl - I didn't like the ABS cowl that was supplied.

I may build another one day - its a great sport flier

Martyn

Oh go on then, here's mine with an Irvine 53. Been flying it last couple a weeks after a lay off - excellent flyer and great fun:

gangster 1.jpg

I have replaced cowl also - supplied one is shown - this is the only thing wrong with the kit I think

Edited By Masher on 20/10/2015 12:07:20

Trevor. That cowl is not all bad news. I had a few choice words when I saw it. However..... I am now glad it was so flimsy For some reason I did not put enough flour in the glue mix for the front bulk head. It totally jettisoned the motor which just tore through the cowl. It was on take off and about 100 feet. Just imagine 700 watt motor rattling around in the cowl. Could have. Destroyed fuselage motor and esc. The model just came round for a perfect landing. I actually. Thought it had only thrown the prop Nobody told the model that it should not have flown perfectly when tail heavy. So the flimsy cowl went right up in my estimation. MR can supply replacements for. A fiver

Well Gangster that's a bit of good news; the last time that that happened to me (RBC Havard) the result was not pretty. It took me half an hour to find the parts. I did toy with the idea of making a balsa cowl but persevered with the plastic one save that I did reinforce the front of it with a plywood disc and that made a big difference. Mind you, mine is I/c and by the time you have cut out for the cylinder head and silencer there is only about 60% of it left. I'm

This weekends progress. I did this while watching the afternoons rugby, was really wanting the Aussies to get a kicking for their thievery last weekend. I hope to try and get the wing structure completed this week coming. I now have much required clothes pegs for clamps, I did have clamps but found they exerted too much force for this application, handy for gluing together the firewall though.

img_1735[1].jpgimg_1734[1].jpgimg_1733[1].jpgimg_1732[1].jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Fergus you are not very far behind mine which will be an electric version. Don't make the same mistake that I made by fitting the small triangular price to the leading edge of the centre of the tail plane. If you do that you can't fit the tail without cutting the end post out .

Mind you it's easier to cover the tail plane when it is separate. Having just tried the HK film I must say that I did not like it at first but with a cooler iron and a warm air gun I was very pleased with the result and will use it again

• 5 months later...

THE KIDS ARE BACK!!!!

Been a while since an update but University work caught up with me and needed to take priority. As of Tuesday the 17th May I finished my final ever exam and now have heaps of free time. So what have I been up to? Well this afternoon I got the wings skinned and I am almost ready to join them together. I found a new use for my Bachelor's Year dissertation as can be seen below:-

img_2134[1].jpg

Below is the wing in it's current state just a dry fit just now:-

img_2135[1].jpg

I have also treated myself to a new flightbox kit from SLEC. My old Ripmax one from 2002 was beginning to show signs of plastic fatigue and needed replaced badly. Here it is below:-

img_2136[1].jpg

I have bought car paints from halfords to paint this in "Ford Signal Green", mainly because this is the closest colour I can get to Kawasaki Racing Green. Hopefully their primer, colour, lacquer system will hold up to the job.

In other news I have successfully obtained a job in Kent so if anyone from Kent is reading this and can recommend a club that allows all types of IC aircraft with turbines and petrol as well that would be most helpful. I'll be paying a visit at the start of August to scout for houses and possibly even pay a few clubs a flight and a visit.