Best Flying Day Ever- My Important Insights

NewBuilderFlyer

I love building rc planes - I'm ok at it and have accumulated many planes ready for their first flight. But I'm not a great flyer and it's annoying.

Today was a fantastic day - I fly from the bottom of my garden over many fields (yes I have insurance and the landowners permission) and it has been sunny, quite still and all my chores are on hold (wife not too happy about that last one).

There's a strip of bumpy grass along the field and that's my landing strip - all my planes are hand launched and belly landed - it's simply too rough for any undercarriage to survive (ask me how I know...)

I've been flying for many hours today and that gives a chap time to think. First of all I now hate my DeltaRay plane. I find it tricky to fly smoothly in any mode, hate the sound of the brushed motors and wonder why I bought it. Maybe I thought it was a fast track approach to learning? The only good bit is that it looks like a Vulcan bomber.

Today I also tried out my converted Multiplex Twinstar 2 with brushless motors and new silver and grey paint scheme. I was unprepared for the amount of power available as it took off nearly vertically - most of the rest of the flight was on 25% throttle. And yet I had moments of sheer panic - this is a relatively big model for me and when it turns and dips there's a realisation that this has some power to control. I also lost orientation a few times as I squinted into the low sun - this also freaked me out to the point where I had to take a few deep breaths. The paint scheme doesn't help. I also managed to land it on a neighbours hedge, which is impressive given the huge number of safer options available. After all that and the battery was still at 80%. I guess I need more stick time but I can't overcome that feeling of slight fear as I know that I'm not in complete control (not yet).

Now here's the counter intuitive bit - I spent most of the day flying my Ultra Micro Trojan P28. It's fast and yet can fly so slowly you can catch it, twitchy which means you really have to fly it using all the controls (this one doesn't have any stabilisation) and zips around the sky for ages on it's 1S battery. But this doesn't make sense - small planes are tricky, Trojans don't have high trainer type wings and are as light as a feather on a diet. So why is it that I'm a better (a relative term) pilot with the tiny Trojan than with the huge Twinstar? Given a choice I'd happily burn every other plane to keep using the Trojan (luckily this is a very unlikely scenario only possible in an ITV drama).

Maybe I should buy a bigger (relative again) Trojan and see if my flying nerves return? HobbyKing does a nice one.....

I suspect practice has a big part to play in this and gradually getting used to bigger planes will be answer. One day I'd like to pass the 'A' test and I can't do that with an Ultra Micro Trojan!

So I admit that I have an irrational fear of large (normal) planes.....!

Advert

I too have a Twinstar 2 upgraded to brushless, which transformed her to a very spritely lady, mine similarly requires very little throttle to keep her in the air and needs constant attention in turns too. However the TS2 can be flown slowly, lots of practice two ( or three ) mistakes high and the TS2 becomes a friendly old thing, she'll thermal on a good day, and mine's been sloping too. The biggest problem with the Twinstar is landing, especially with a 3s 3000 LiPo, she has a very shallow and quite rapid glide - going on & on in ground effect. Visibility - spray the whole fin and tail plane with Multiplex' own Fluorescent Red, and in my case, wing tips and engine nascelles as well, stands out well against any background and you'll always know which way she is pointing.

Oh, and once you get the confidence the Twin Star is terrific at doing low and slow(ish) close in flying.

Orientation is a learnt skill, a conditioned reflex in technical terms. It comes with time. Beware that a strange shaped plane can throw your conditioned reflexes. Your discomfort with larger planes is probably a fear factor from knowing it can REALY fall into small bits if crashed, and said crash will COST. Stick at it. No risk, no glory, no flight. Careful with your neibours hedge however. Just bear in mind you were potentially the width of a hedge from hitting him. A learning curve starts with a bit of a plan before the flight. I realise there is a bit of a battle going on at present, the plane does what it wants, you exert a bit of control here and there. But, just get your head round, this flight I will do left hand circuits, five, then diagonal across the circuit, and right hand circuits, and before you have done your millennium circuit, you will be confidently doing a figure eight, Fluorescent is good.

This sounds to me like it is 99% psychological! You feel less vulunerable with the Trojan - the consequences of getting it wrong feel like they are less. Nowt wrong with that. Enjoy the Trojan - but use it to build your confidence. Start each session with a couple of flights with that, then have a shortish flight with the TS. You'll find that as time goes on you will start to feel happier with the TS. Don't rush it - remember, its supposed to be fun!

BEB

Mind you, you could always supply him with an Anderson shelter. Or Whiskey.

And BEB, flying is fun?. A game of blood I maintain. Satisfying, addictive, but frustrating and bitter disappointments along the way. Fun it is not.

Edited By Donald Fry on 25/10/2015 20:56:46