Seagull Challenger

The build instructions are not as detailed as I hoped and the plans has some errors and omissions but there is a good instructional video by rcmojo on youtube.

However, I've come to a point where I could do with some further advice. If you look at the pic below you will see the leading edge before sanding. To me it looks like there is not enough wood to shape properly. Do you think I need to add some more leading edge strip?

Has anyone else built this model and can offer any tips?

Thanks.

rh leading edge.jpg

Advert

Posted by Percy Verance on 01/11/2015 20:44:42:

It certainly looks like it might benefit from a bit more wood on that leading edge Hogster. It probably wouldn't need much, maybe 3 to 4mm?

Check the wing opening at the fuselage though. It's no good adding more meat if it means the wing won't fit on the fus any longer!

I'll be watching with interest here, as the Challenger is one model I've quite fancied since it first appeared in artf form. I didn't particularly want an artf though, and Seagull have now duly obliged by producing the model in kit form. Nice one Seagull. I honestly feel they should offer more of their range as kits. Lets face it, even the artf's begin as kits before being built, covered and boxed as ready built jobs.

Edited By Percy Verance on 01/11/2015 20:49:52

So far the bits fit together very well. No need to pin things down it just slots together. Which is good for a beginner, But I the instructions aren't enough on their own. The wing just buts up against the side of the fus so I don't think a few mm would be a problem.

Edited By Hogster on 01/11/2015 21:31:13

I think I may have the answer. I re-read the kit review in RCM&E and it was mentioned that the leading edge needing trimming. It didn't register until this morning what was actually meant by that. My very roughly drawn diagram I think explains things better than words.

img_20151102_072356216.jpg

It is a basic error on my part. Lack of experience I guess. However, as the backing for the leading edge is already glued in place I do think Seagull should correct this. There is no mention in the instructions to trim the leading edge back plate, and I can't imagine them having to do this on the assembly line.

So now I have to work out how to correct this. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Hi Hogster. Yes good kit but the fus part in the manual is a total disgrace. I don't recall an issue with the leading edge. Just been out and looked at mine which is in the uncovered state. It's a fairly blunt leading edge but has sanded round

it would not matter if you sanded the sheet away almost at the front If however you wanted to add a false leading edge of 1:8 or 3/16 balsa that would not be an issue to the wing fit. Just stop it 1/8 before the root (for the benefit of anyone not familiar with theodern there are two separate wings that do not go into the fus

Hi Gangster,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give the sanding a try. If it doesn't look as though it is going to work I can look at adding a false leading edge.

I've not looked at the fus yet. I think I will take things a bit more slowly with that. thinking Are there any potential pit falls I should look out for?

Hi Nothing in particular to watch out for but I recommend the you tube vids. They are good I think I would have needed to have build three before I could have made the vids of building in the right order. My Challenger is in the queue of part built models awaiting covering I tend to have two or three models part built

and jump between them as the mood takes