Computer software

Hi, I have a plan for the Halcyon glider which has, I believe a modified Hirschel section, and wanted to know if there is any software which would accept outlines of the root and tip ribs and given the rib spacing would produce drawings of each individual rib. I have looked at Profili2 but it doesn't look as if it will accept pictures of the section and I don't have any accurate data for the section, just the plan.

Peter

Advert

Peter

Vector software such as Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw can do this but you would have to start with a scan of the plan. I use CorelDraw. The scan will produced a pixel based image which can be imported. To create a vector the ribs will have to drawn over butthis us simple enough. Then to create the other ribs the blend tool is used. e.g. if there are 12 ribs a blend of 10 steps from the root to the tip will give each rib correctly sized. This is a slightly simplified explanation, some extra work resizing any spar slots will be required but it works well.

With Profili try to find an airfoil that looks similar and then it will also suggest similar ones too. Then print out just one of the nearest match and see how it matches your plan. You could also vary the thickness and vary other factors in Profilli to achieve a better match. Even have different root rib to tip if required. Then of course you could print out a set of ribs at the required length.

It would be surprising if the hundreds of airfoils on Profilli - even the free version has hundreds- didnt produce the actual airfoil or a very close match.