Large aerobat power

hi guys 
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/Smileys/live/huh.gif

i have a DL50 and i'm looking for a model to strap it into. now looking around there are a few models around the 20lb mark that insist on needing 60cc upwards my question is this if i only want to fly normal scale aerobatics surely an engine that produces 30lb of thrust should be more than capable of flying such a model???! or am i missing the point here just your thoughts gents
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/Smileys/live/uk.gif

regards
nasa

Advert

timbo

its not the mower man or my landings our strip is like the himalaya's even with the grass at under 20mm and to be honest although i love war birds they are a little high maintenance and with decent retracts at around £200 it'll take a little more than my love of warbirds to convince me otherwise.........anyway we are the mower men at our field(  s)  and the nearest strip thats decent is a 57mile round trip so its big aerobats until i get bored of em

steve

i've had 3 120 class warbirds so far, they look great in  the air and i loved them BUT, every one lost retracts on our field even with beefed up mounts its really disheartening every landing either replacing legs/oleos or mounts so i made the decision that unless the lay of out field changed i was wasting time and money on warbirds.hence my aerobat craze now what i am talking here is scale aerobats and not 3D.

nasa

Now if you have read any of my posts you will understand that I am absolutely no experience, but sometimes a different perspective could produce an answer.

Rather than spending an increasingly large amount of money on a diminishing return of stronger and stronger set of retracts, the field might be the thing to look at.  Assuming there is no way of relaying the turf, what about a strip of carpet, or some kind of matting?  You can buy them to act as the strip in a cricket pitch on a rough playing field.  For the kind of money you would be spending on retracts- and presuambly everyone else in the club is in the same boat, so a collective purchase might help everyone.

If this is a stupid idea, please disregard it completely!

hi all

exactly that timbo nail on the head as such our strip is managed as best as can be given the lay of the land one of the strips is manageable and could be used for retracts,  BUT this is one in every 6 or 7 visits given the prevailing south westerly winds. plus the landowner would not allow any heavy re-landscaping although that said the mat is a good idea for those places where land management is not so much of an issue.

what we need to do is get a heavy 1 tonne+ vibrating roller to bang some of the lumps down but one of our members is pretty sure the lumps would reappear pretty soon he's a groundsman by trade and feels the only way would be to dig the strip out and relay it and this the landowner won't allow.

and so it comes back to aerobats

nasa

a whacker plate is most definately not man enough believe me we are talking 8-10 inch undulations in the strip and that is hieght variation we have  as a club been down this route already so as i say aerobats where undercarriage mounts can be reinforced substantially with carbon cloth are the order of the day. incidentally all of my models get carbod reinforcement before they even come out of the shed.

nasa

the field is on top of a hill at 508' above sea level (which is high up on the kent-sussex boarder) and the furrow's as such are or should i say seem to be where the water runs off the hill not enough to be streams but i'm sure you can see what i mean.

yes the carden yak is very high up on my list of aerobats

nasa

Hi steve, just a thought but have you looked at the L.M.A. genesis it should be just the job for rough strip operations -----build is conventional,plan and laser cut parts etc power weight ratio should be very good  vfm imo   worth a checkout? don,t shoot the oap i,me doing my best!! regards Roy