Battery set up for 76" petrol powered F3a type.

Bob Vaughan

Anyone give me a pointer on how best to power the following set up please? I have built a 76'' F3a model powered by an OS33 GT and pipe, at about 11 to 12lbs all up weight. I have fitted JR 2.4 reciever and Savox servos (6 volt spec) all round and need to power the ignition module as well. I am thinking of a single 6.6 volt Life battery at a guess? ie on one switch and circuit? any advice appreciated.

Thanks Bob V

Advert

This has been discussed on RCGroups a fair bit and opinions are split. Some are happy using a single battery, others prefer two batteries. One thing that has been suggested is to isolate the radio and ignition as fas as possible by using separate switches from dual battery leads.

Even on smaller models I stick to a separate ignition battery, after all an 1100mAHr 2S Life only weighs a few ounces and will easily provide a couple of hours running between charges.

Come to that, anything over 120 size I like to use dual batteries or at least dual switches for the radio.

Posted by Bob Vaughan on 31/12/2015 23:02:18:

Life or Lipo, any advantage?

Bob

Unless you are using specific High Voltage servos then you'll need a voltage regulator, usually a switched BEC, with Lipos which drops the voltage, so some thing else to go wrong, but you do get a very constant voltage.

A 2s LiFe is about the same voltage as a 5 cell Nimh, so you don't need a BEC, only "problem" with LiFe cells is that their discharge curve is very flat so using voltage to check remaining capacity isn't very reliable. All my voltage checkers under report % remaining, but as I have Rx volts telemetry that's not a problem.

I've gone over to using 2s LiFe cells in most of my models now, they do hold their voltage very well under load, unlike the high capacity AA Nimh cells.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 01/01/2016 09:33:35

How about 3 LiFe 6.6 @ 1100mah, two feeding the reciever, and one on another separate switch feeding the ignition unit?. Unfortunately due to c of g limitatons they will all be very close the firewall although the receciever can be mounted almost a foot further back to give best rf separation...........I'm guessing a little here, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards Bob