From the Archives

Now you really are making me feel old! The Mini Super was my first totally successful R/C power model. I built it in about 1968 from the kit. It was a first class trainer ( we learned to fly as we went along in those days ) It lasted for several years by being repaired over and over again but it taught me to fly power. Up to this model I had only flown R/C gliders both slope and thermal. Ah memories!

Advert

If I remember right, the free plan in the January issue (the one with Maynard Hill on the front) was a thing called the "Sub-Mini" -  half size Super 60, for 0.5-0.8 cc engines.

I built several of these for single channel - powered by Cox .049s, and still have one, complete with Elmic escapement! However, it now uses an own design 35 MHz single channel system to replace the original MiniMac!

I also built a lightly modified one (reduced dihedral) with 2 channel propo (rudder and elevator) to teach my son to fly RC. That one must be 20 years old now, and still flying! Its currently powered by a PAW .80, and on its last outing was used to introduce my grandson to the joys of RC flight!

Not bad for a forty+ year old free plan! Boddo should be proud!

--

Pete

Memories of times past I had an R.C.S. Transistorised Guidance System in a Veron Skyskooter it proved to be very reliable compared to the old E.C.C. Telecomander valve set I had first of all. I still occasionally look back through the old magazines and dream of some of the frights I had while learning to fly. Many were basic free flight designs with a little guidance from the radio.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember spending hours finishing my Mini-Super, covered in doped nylon with an ME Snipe 1.5cc, home-made radio gear  and rubber escapement with kick-up elevator.

It lasted about three minutes before being atracted to the roof of a newly built house - the only one for miles - and "modifying" the tiles.  Suffice to say the roof won!

• 3 months later...

it's great to look back at the old mags, and seeing the adverts from R.C.S. is really memorarable to me as a young lad (there called men now days) i used to work R.C.S.  at Hounslow West that is until i started my apprenticship in elec. contracting.

dose anyone know if Eric Faulkner (propriater) is still alive and flying ? i did see an artical a few years back that gave a mention of him.

Regards Pat. Checkley

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...