Step craft CNC machine

Shane Sunday

Alright AVC I've been able to import PDF files into cut2D but it looks like you eill have to learn their drawing tools. The good news is that you could skip illustrator or Coreldraw and just use their tools. I gave it a go and it looks as though the tools are self explanatory. So that could be an option. It;s one less program to buy and learn.

If you already have a decent CAD package to draw and design parts, do you need any other software, or can these files be brought into the UCCNC software to produce the cutter path?

I've got access to a laser cutter at school due to working there (not had a chance to ply with it yet), but after looking through the Step Craft website last night, I'm still tempted to have something for home use. I used to be a design engineer using cad before I changed careers to be a teacher (I wouldn't recommend it !!), so I've never seen the cad part as a chore.

Simon

Sorry AVC the program that came with the machine was winpcnc. I thought it was horrible. I purchased CUT2D and UCCNC from stoneycnc.all told I think I spent 1200 quid when I thought I was only going to spend 800 or so. This seems like an awful lot of money for a work top machine but just consider the actual cost of just one of our beloved models. To me its a no brainer

Posted by simon burch on 27/01/2016 08:08:03:

I used to be a design engineer using cad before I changed careers to be a teacher (I wouldn't recommend it !!)

Simon

With two kids homeschoolers, and the third on his/her way, I tend to agree with your recommendation smiley

Good morning Simon. Aw wow know CAD is such a bonus. You coukd skip to a 3D program and still use that to cut 2D pieces as well. Unfortunately you will have to purchase a program to turn your DXF files into GCODE and thats what CUT2D does. So while knowing CAD is awsome you will still need 2 other programs.

AVC you tottaly have to purchase one! This could be used in shop class, art class and just for being class. Its a tax write off for you.

Okay, sounds like I can use the cad program I'm used to and then use CUT2D to produce the Gcode. I assume once that is brought into UCCNC, you are ready to start cutting with the machine?

Will keep an eye on this thread. Might buy one later in the year, maybe in my summer break when I have time to sit down and have a proper play.

Simon

That is Correct Simon. Once you've set all the orientation parameters as well as the cutting paths then you save it all as a MACH3 file in the drop down menu and open it all up in UCCNC.

So everyone has been following along and I thank you for bearing with me. Now we open UCCNC. You will need to download the settings for your stepcraft machine to let the program know the constrains. I did but this wasn't withought it's problems. Like I said this thread is to let people know what I did to get it working for me and to help you demistify CNC.

here is the main page of the program.

20160125_174923.jpg

Gotta work I'll add more in a bit.

I'll be getting to that shortly. Back to UCCNC so above we have the main page. In an ideal world we pess start and away it goes but it isnt. Thankfully its not very difficult at all. If we move our mouse to the far left of the screen this pop up menu shows up and from here we can manually JOG our machine to where we would like the XY and Z axis to start, namely center. Jog feed is the speed the machine moves at. And the arrows right and left move the X axis while the up and down arrown move the Y axis. The set of arrows off tonthe right hand side are for the Z axis up and down. I dont know what the rest of them do.

uccnc.jpg

down the right hand side of the screen we have the start cycle, pause and stop cycle. Home all will immediately move the machine to the limits Nd is used for initial setups.Sometimes an emergency will happen either youve gonetoo far and the machine cannot recognize something and yoyou'll have to hit reset before you can start again.

uccnc3.jpg

In the middle left we have zero all.i use the Iindividual zero points zll the time. Once youve got your material locked in the machine you need to JOG the machine to zero or center. Once done we hit the individual zero point. X and Y are easy but Z needs a bit more caution. You neec to bring Z down slowly so adjust the jog feed. In the image above I've it set a 10 and that is manageable. Get a peice of paper under your cutter and when you can only just not move the paper thats your Z zero point, set that then raise the Z axis a centimeter or so. Now the machine knows where to start. Obviously you've already opened your file before you've gone yhrough all this and you can turn on your dremeland press start cycle. Sure that was easy right? Next instalment ill actually cut something and maybe get some video. Thanks for hanging in there guys

uccnc4.jpg

Edited By Shane Sunday on 27/01/2016 23:11:37

img_3373.jpgWell I said I would try to upload some video but at the moment im waiting a new battery for the gopro and it has been a while since I've updated the thread. Ive cut a few things over the past few days. The image above of the jet I had planned to use as templates for hotwire cutting a tetris style build. I purchase a while ago some formica sheet as its super hard and keeps a sharp edge which is best when using a hotwire. The templates came out perfect and now I'm waiting for my foam. The machine comes with 2 rails which 3 hex bolts are used in each to hold your material down. I've heard tell of people using 3M spray glue for somethings like balsa but I couldn't be bothered. So the 2 rails and a couple weights is what I use to keep my stuff in place.

So, while I await my foam I've decided to build Steve Shumates Tomcat, its a pusher prop jet with a variable swept wing. My problem in the past is that I'm not deft with the blade and important things like elevator mounting holes dont always line up throwing things off just enough to be anoying. So ive redrawn it in illustrator, refit on many pages which are 400X300 and set to work preparing my kit. Things needed cutting down then reglued together when cut but... every peice is exactly the right size, holes in the exact location they're supposed to be and when you need two of the same part all I have to do is cut a peice of depron to size, clamp in the machine and hit start cycle.

Here's a couple pics

img_3372.jpg

Edited By Shane Sunday on 31/01/2016 22:42:34

I too have a Stepcraft and have just been building a glider tug.
I posted recently:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=113886
But there wasnt a lot of interest.
In the mean time I have finished the build and am in the process of finishing.
I have bought the vinyl cutter and have just finished my first registration letters
The more I use this machine, the more I love it.
If anyone is interested, I will post some more pictures tomorrow.
Have fun
Herri

Been playing with my CAD software, trying to get the drawings into the CAM software for the laser cutter at work (school!!). Been having issues with scaling (think I've sussed that) and splines not being seen once exported as a DXF (think I might have sorted that as well). Will try and open up my DXF's tomorrow and see what the software makes of it. Hopefully I might get to cut something out.

If I think about the time I've spent, I could have probably traced all the formers out by now, popped out to the shed and cut them out. I must admit, I've really enjoyed remodelling the plans in CAD. Been looking again at the Stepcraft machines tonight even though I have access to the laser cutter at work. They just look so much fun to play with, its such a shame the final price still needs 20% adding on for the VAT, I came very close to hitting the buy button.

I wonder if Stonetcraft CNC do a discount if you buy it all in one go?

Simon

There are quite a few come up 2nd hand on the Stepcraft forum.

I think a lot of people find the learning curve too steep as its learning CAD/CAM and the machine, all at the same time.

Have a look at the forum, most is in German but you never know.

Herri

Shane and Herri, thanks for taking the trouble to explain your experiences with the Step craft. I have been drooling over one of these for a couple of months. I have a new Proxxon spindle that I could use.

I am not terribly proficient with Cad software but I can produce acceptable drawings in 2d using Turbocad. I also have Devcad,Devwing and Dev fuse which seem to work well if a bit buggy at times. I have managed to get the ribs produced in Devwing into Turbocad in an editable form as my aim is to try and build a 3D drawing ( I know it's not strictly necessary, but the idea appeals). I have just started to experiment with Sketchup and have been quite impressed. Presumably all of the above programmes can generate the required images for cutting? If I do push the button I will probably go for the Cut 2d programme.

Presumably Adobe illustrator or similar is not required to generate images in preference to a cad programme?

I quite fancied getting the 3D printing add-on as well; I have zero experience in this area but it looks to be quite fun. I would be interested to hear if the system works as well as a sand alone 3D printer?

Any tips or advice most welcome.

Have look at my thread:

Build Blogs and Kit Reviews > Tow Tug - first CAD/CNC Project

If you already have DEVCAD, then you only need to upgrade to DEV CADCAM to be able to produce a machine readable file.

I dont personally know anyone who has the 3D printer attachment

Have a good look on Youtube as there are loads of small videos, both cutting and printing.

Hello Trevor. I don't know any of the programs you are using but as long as they can make a vector graphic then you are part of the way there. I think as Herri says the DEv upgrade may produce Gcode? I am unsure though. If it does produce Gcode then the program that you will need is a CNC controller such as MACH3 or UCCNC.

I think the CNC machine does cut the building time down.It certainly makes perfect peices and readily duplicates them at will. I've not played with the 3D side of things or the laser but they can all be added to the machine. I'm cutting ply and depron and I plan on cutting some aluminium soon as well. Herri has been doing great hings with his and i'm just loving mine. I keep finding new things to do with it. It's just a great builders tool.