Step craft CNC machine

Shane Sunday

Hi Shane,

I've just put a couple of videos up in the sandbox of my cnc machine, here's the last one that I did cutting 6mm birch ply dihedral brace using Cut2D to draw it and make the G-code for the cnc machine, I cannot get to grips with any cad programs yet and just use the Vetric Cut2D to make my drawings and generate the G code for the cnc. My cnc is run using an Xpro board and GRBL panel or UGS which are quite easy to use but have less features than Mach 3 and give results that I'm happy with.

Edited By J V R on 10/02/2016 02:00:43

Herri- I have a 19mm board on mine, I do find lite ply hard to keep flat so there are a couple of screws to stop the ply shifting around the base board then strips of double sided tape work well. When the base board gets carved up mix some sawdust with PVA and fill the cuts then machine the base board flat again.

Posted by Airpaddler on 10/02/2016 06:41:20:

Simply download Fusion 360. For all your CAD, CAM and postprocessing requirements. Free and totally comprehensive. Includes Mach3 postprocessors. Many YTube tutorials. Does everything it says on the box and completely free to hobbyists.

Looks like £184 pa to me, is there a way around this?

Posted by J V R on 10/02/2016 11:29:22:

Herri- I have a 19mm board on mine, I do find lite ply hard to keep flat so there are a couple of screws to stop the ply shifting around the base board then strips of double sided tape work well. When the base board gets carved up mix some sawdust with PVA and fill the cuts then machine the base board flat again.

I just turn it over once. After that, when its cut up I throw it and get a new one wink

Cost under 2 euros a go

• 2 weeks later...

I'd wanted to build a micro model because the weather is so crap and maybe I can start some indoor flying. So i sat down to an old Veron model but an hour into cutting the peices and breaking them I decided I could make this thing bigger, lighter and easier out of depron. So into the scanner and computer. An hour or so of drawing, a few momments in Cut2D and 12min cutting on the machine.

weight so far is 17grams. with internals it's 29.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

what a heffer

I'm sorry. I didn't answeryour question earlier because I'm cutting depron. Im unsure what Elapor is. I haven't used the hotwire on the CNC machine because I've not come up with a satisfactory way to secure it. So yes ive milled all of my depron parts so far. Depron is a close cell tight foam unlike epo or eps foams. I use a 1mm fish tail down cut spiral mill. The down cut spiral rotates the material downwards reducing the dust created. An upcut would be used for harder materials where you want the material out of the cut such as aluminium and the like. Hope this helps

Shane - Thanks for info. May I assume the use of high spindle speeds and high feed rates?

Percy - I did in fact mean to say Depron. Was working on an Elapor model. Easily confused!!

Have experience of CNC routing and milling. Just did not try foam milling before. This interesting post has promted me finally, to actually cut some models. Thanks!

In a few weeks time I will be selling my small table top Step 4 - 3D router running a small Proxxon spindle. 510 x 308 x 70 mm cutting area If anyone is looking to dip their toe in Cad/Cam it may be a good little starter unit for you.

• 6 months later...

Hi all and greetings from Sweden,

Having recently bought a Stepcraft 2-420 with a Kress 800 FME spindle and a parallel port interface I am taking my first steps into the world of CNC machining. I have been building model aeroplanes for decades, mostly from kits and plans but I am a complete beginner to CAD/CAM/CNC. The last couple of days have been spent setting up the machine, installing software and to get the workflow going. In all it has been a painless and very rewarding task

I have choosen to use UCCNC together with the UC100 USB motion controller, which connects to an USB port of my laptop. I addition I have bought Vectric Cut2D Desktop in order to produce G-code for UCCNC. Presently I am learning to use Draftsight, a "free" 2D CAD program, but I am thinking about switching to Autodesk Fusion 360 which is also "free" and includes both CAD and CAM. Recently Autodesk posted a a post processor for Stepcraft, which probably simplifies setting the program up for use with the router quite a lot.

There is a very instructive Youtube video that shows how to use Fusion 360 / Stepcraft to manufacture a multicopter frame here:

Make Precision Carbon Fibre Parts Using A Desktop CNC Router

I would like to acknowledge the kind help of Rory Stoney (StoneyCNC) who helped me out with machine parameters and instructions on how install and set up UCCNC for my machine even though it was not bought in the U.K.

I have found Vectric Cut2D to be a very nice program for importing and editing different files, e.g., DXF, PDF, JPG etcetera and producing G-code for UCCCN. Even as a complete beginner it took me less than 15 minutes to import a simple JPG picture, convert it to DXF and prepare the G-code for my Stepcraft. Equipped with a draw knife the Stepcraft cut my first decal (picture below) from Solartrim taped to a self healing cutting mat.

img_20160821_182914.jpg

img_20160830_215926.jpg

Edited By Red B. on 30/08/2016 22:26:33

Edited By Red B. on 30/08/2016 22:27:12

Edited By Red B. on 30/08/2016 22:28:08

Edited By Red B. on 30/08/2016 22:33:02

Posted by J V R on 10/02/2016 01:57:16:

Hi Shane,

I've just put a couple of videos up in the sandbox of my cnc machine, here's the last one that I did cutting 6mm birch ply dihedral brace using Cut2D to draw it and make the G-code for the cnc machine, I cannot get to grips with any cad programs yet and just use the Vetric Cut2D to make my drawings and generate the G code for the cnc. My cnc is run using an Xpro board and GRBL panel or UGS which are quite easy to use but have less features than Mach 3 and give results that I'm happy with.

Seems very slow I could cut them quicker using my router or scroll saw in one pass . Can it cut any faster ?

Edited By J V R on 10/02/2016 02:00:43

Hi Onetenor

My cnc machine will cut faster and deeper but I chose not to run it at its max, plus I'm new to this cnc game and just getting to grips with cutting depth V speed. I did make a mistake when I was machining the spoil board and plunged a 15mm cutter 3/8 in to the mdf board and cut a channel across the spoil boarddsc_0218.jpg