Album of Laser Engine Dimensioned Photographs

Gordon Whitehead 1

On his "What do you want" thread, several people have been asking Jon at Laser Engines for installation diagrams of the engines. The old Laser website laserengines.co.uk has photographs which include the principal dimensions of the engines, and quite some time ago I downloaded these to my laptop for ease of reference when designing my last plane.

With Jon's blessing, I've uploaded all the pics into the following album:

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=39698

The album's title is Laser Engine Dimensions and the photos are copies of Laser's originals, with the addition of some imperial values because I'm an oldie. The engine title is at the top left corner of each pic. The 80 comes first, followed by its 160v twin, then the 100 and 200v, and so on.

A right click and "save image" as on a pic will upload it to your computer.

The pictures don't print at full size as I didn't get around to making them so. But if you print out a pic, work out the scale factor to make it full size using a ruler and calculator, and then scale up the pic in your computer's graphics program, you'll be able to lay the resultant printed image on your full size plan to see how the engine wiil fit.

As a CAD user myself for designing my own model plans, I'm under no illusion as to how time-consuming it can be to produce an accurate and detailed drawing. So I'm hoping that this album will tide everyone over until Jon has time to divert his energies from full time engine design, manufacture, testing, sales and repair, answering email requests, procurement of raw materials, plus all the other primary tasks of a busy engineering business, to producing definitive Laser Engine drawings.

Cheers

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 23/01/2016 20:05:16

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 23/01/2016 20:06:15

Advert

Hi Gordon

Thanks for this, although you missed out some things from my list of jobs:

IT tech support for the company, packing/posting engines, sweeping the floor (sometimes) and irritating the boss by stinking out the office with my microwave curry lunch.

In truth the last one is quite enjoyable but the rest is just work!

Ha!

I remind him that It could be worse. He looks at me as if to say 'really?!' and so I pick up a walbro carb and threaten to take it apart and release the thimble of petrol contained within it. I then usually get called a name and he leaves me to it

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 24/01/2016 09:47:45:

Nope. Believe it or not its just me. The guys on the factory floor machine the actual components, but finishing them and everything after that is down to me

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 24/01/2016 09:48:14

So how's my 120 coming along Jon? whilst I have you here, is it alright to run in my 150 with synthetic oil? or should I use oil/castor mix.

Currently manufacturing cranks for the 120's and with the 4 current batches of engines I have on the go it will be at least another 10 days before I can get near the 120's. If the weather plays ball then one entire day will be spent test running the engines currently on the go.

As for fuel, no need for any castor. Just use a decent fuel who's oil type and content you know, open the needle half a turn from where it was when you got it from the factory. Start it, run for 30-60 seconds at about 3000rpm, open up to 5000rpm for about a minute, then full power, lean for max rpm (I mean max rpm, no richening it up again) then back to idle to set the slow run. Once done double check the main needle and you are good to go. It should take no longer than 3 minutes to get the engine set up and ready to fly

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 30/01/2016 23:18:00