Hornby at risk?

IanN

I dont think that its the Airfix element of Hornby that's failing. They seem to be expanding their range of kits and whilst they may be more expensive than they used to be, they are also a world apart from their kits of old. I suggest anyone who thinks they are overpriced go and buy one of their new tool kits and have a look. I bought a couple recently as they were being discounted in aldi, and i was surprised at the quality and detail. They really are good. I used to build them as a kid, back in the 60s and 70s, and i have always taken an interest in plastic kits, although my main interest is in flying models, but these new tool kits have sparked my interest again, and I'm now contemplating getting an airbrush, because the one thing I could never do was brush paint!

If you think £8 is expensive, compare it to a packet of smokes, or a couple of pints...... and how long do they last?

I hope they survive and thrive, they deserve to do so.

Advert

I will admit to having a XBox 360 Kinetic and a playstation 3. They are great.

What may surprise many is that Lego have developed their product from a pile of plastic bricks into a kit where specific models are built, in addition to being available for use for other builds. Although lego are not cheap, they are not as relatively expensive as Mecharno was on a comparative basis.

Although I had a Mecarno No.7 and a trains set, with hindsight i would rather not had them given the very high cost of the products.

Children are no different in their creativity today than in the past. The problem Hornby has it that it does not try and appeal to children any more. Still a relatively expensive range products

Never had Meccano, did have Bayko, went with the original (tinplate) train set.

I was a Tri-Ang boy when I switched to OO, I avoided Hornby, other than the breakdown set, which had to have conversion couplings as there was no standard then. (Not THAT much better now really from a worldwide perspective).

PS think you might have to have been away at Her Majesty's pleasure to have missed what Lego have been doing for the last twenty plus years. wink 2

A good friend of mine (sadly no longer with us) used to run a very good model shop, but towards the end, shortly before he died, he confided to me that he was making far more out of railway stuff then he ever did from aircraft - and his speciality was helicopters!!!

The shop is still going, under new ownership, but the bulk of the stuff in there is model railways!

--

Pete