Canadian Chipmunk markings

Phil Francis

Advert

Interesting... Whilst Jim's flag is the one that appears on a lot of RCAF aircraft, it appears slightly different to the one on 671. Jim's image is the Canadian Red Ensign.

Here's a crop from another shot of 671's tail. The contents of the "shield" bit are not quite the same...

chipmunk671.jpg

The Maple Leaves at the bottom are the same, but the four quadrants above are not. I know there are lots of different Canadian flags for various provinces/territories, but quite what 617's flag is I'm not sure...

Posted by Phil Francis on 14/02/2016 19:46:27:

Thanks guys, it's only for local club flying so it does not have to be historically correct. As Jim,s is the only one I have seen I will use that as its near enough for me.

I'm sure that's the pragmatic approach Phil, but I'm still intrigued to know what the flag on 617 actually is!

If I could find a decent picture of it anywhere I'd send it to my daughter who's studying in Ontario and should be able to find somebody out there who could identify it!

Phil - I live in Canada, but upon checking I found that this Chipmunk was built by De Havilland Canada and ended up in The Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warren, Bedfordshire, England since 2000.

I see that it flew in their airshow in 2013.

Edited By Steven Shaw on 15/02/2016 05:00:52

• 10 months later...

Just returning to this one... I happened to find myself at Old Warden today (I had 4 hours to 'kill' in/around Peterborough between dropping-off a passport application and picking-up the passport) and spotted the Canadian Chipmunk that this thread was about.

So here is a close-up of the tail. (Click on the image to see it full-size)

img_5511.jpg

I'll ask my daughter's Canadian boyfriend if he recognises the flag when they return later this evening.

Edited By John Privett on 23/12/2016 21:37:33

Looking at the original image I suggest it is the same as what Jim posted, simply a bit faded and crucially, reversed, the give away is the union jack being backwards too. I reckon the port side is per Jim's post and all they've done is flip the image to create one for the starboard side but they've been lazy.

It almost looks like a reverse image of a provincial flag but which one I cant say as most provinces don't have five idifferent symbols in their shield and these five look to be symbols from different provinces.
I will have to consult withother club members as I have only been in Canada since 1974 it could be from way earlier.

Edited By Tony Richardson on 23/12/2016 22:13:41

Edited By Tony Richardson on 23/12/2016 22:14:43

Well, not lazy, but in compliance with aerial etiquette.

Imagine the flag was flying at the rear of a ship, from one side (in the case of a ship and aviation the port side) it would appear normal, from the other side it would appear reversed. You don't very often see the starboard side of your passenger airliner, but the flag is reversed as well.

I am not that sad really, I was asked by a passenger once (who had unusually boarded on the Starboard side) why the Union Flag was flying backwards as it was bad luck. After a bit of research I discovered the previous information.

You won't look at aircraft markings the same again!

Happy Christmas to all.

Tim.

Yesterday was my first ever visit to Old Warden - it's been on my 'list' for ages but I never got around to it. It's not even as if it's a huge distance away at a touch under 90 miles.

I think I'd failed to appreciate until I saw it quite how extensive the collection is. /And not surprisingly there weren't many visitors yesterday - a weekday, just before Christmas and I had a good look around, then took advantage of the 25% discount for lunch.

Next time I'll have to go to one of their flying days.