Tweedy Bird (Small Dirty Bird)

Advert

Posted by Jim Carss on 16/03/2016 10:58:44:

WFM

check this out

**LINK**

The Global Hobbies kit is completely different from Joe Bridi's Dirty Birdy 40 kit. I had this kit, sold it. I have a Bridi Hobby Enterprises Dirty Birdy 40 kit on the shelf. The global Birdy had a semi-symetrical airfoil while the Bridi has a fully symetrical airfoil. I just finished matching the DB40 airfoil in compu-foil.

Jim

p1000624.jpgp1000625.jpgHere's a few more pictures of progress. The canopy is blue foam with a lightweight glass fibre shell. I've still got to make the rudder, under fin and ailerons. I'm using Robart Pin Hinges and I'm impressed with how easy they are to fit. Whenever I use furry mylar hinges the knife blade always seems to follow the grain and go wonky. For these you have drill holes and if you start with a 1mm drill you stand a chance of getting an accurate hinge line and you are less likely to get cyano on the covering too.

Although the airframe looks largely complete there still remains quite a bit of work to do.p1000624.jpg

Edited By Wasaforumite on 28/03/2016 20:55:21

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've at long last finished this plane except for a few details.

Test flight today (cross wind as usual!), take off was easy, it tracked very straight. The c of g was too far forward so it needed some up trim to stop it diving and a couple of clicks on the ailerons. Initially I found the plane a complete handful as I am not used to fast electrics and it seemed to be using up huge amounts of sky. The elevator wasn't too responsive so I kept running wide in turns. Eventually I got it under a semblance of control and managed to land it OK.

Put some weights on the sub fin and tried again. This time it was much better and the elevator had some effect in turns. Will climb vertically with enthusiasm. Tried walzing doing wing overs and it looked beautiful. Landing not so good - nice gliding approach but I got the angle wrong and went off our strip. Some minor damage, easy to repair. Plane good -pilot rubbish!

Flight time 7 minutes with 35% battery left using 2650 4s lipo.

Here's a picture of the completed plane.

d birdy finished.jpg

Posted by Wasaforumite on 24/02/2016 10:09:24:

The fuselage consists of four box sides but they are all joined at the 'seam' by tri stock. Ttri stock is really quite expensive but I haven't found an easy way of making it. The commercial stuff is quite hard which is good for this purpose. The fuselage corners are planed/sanded to make a rounded section.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

If you have a power scroll saw you can make triangular stock quite easily. Get a piece of 1/4" ply about 6" square and get some triangular wood or make some about 6" long with 1" sides.

Glue them to the ply to make a cradle to hold the balsa. Cut a slot between them so the fret saw blade is down the cradle by a few inches. Clamp this to your saw table

You can now take your square balsa, rest it in the cradle and push it through the saw and you will end up with two piices of triangular wood..

It doesn't matter about the sawn side becase that is not the area that is being glued to the sheet.

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/09/2016 08:12:28