New computer / sim. combo?

Ian Whittaker

hi all,

I'm in a position where I'm looking for a new computer.

I'm also in the position where I'm looking for a new simulator.

In the past I've had a lot of pleasure and time from 'flying' a Phoenix, while I've also got a fondness for Apple products.

What set up would people suggest please? I'm preferring the idea of an Apple Mac but there seems to be less sim's available compatible with these.

I'd need either the sim to be compatible with a square pin Futaba or (preferably) come with a Mode 1 transmitter.

While the budget isn't endless I realise that then the base Apple Mac is bordering on four figures, and a decent sim upwards of £100....

The situation is pretty much a blank canvas, and the computer will be used for no work, but, other than the sim, little other uses apart than the Internet (no film downloading, just eBay, YouTube and the like).

Advert

Posted by Ian Whittaker on 29/02/2016 20:04:15:

While the budget isn't endless

Apple Mac

Without trying to sound clever, I'd look at a PC.

Phoenix (£70) plus a dx6i (£70) 1 runs fine on a £300 laptop for me and 2 plugged straight in using the phoenix widget and worked straight away.

Hello Ian,

I am the proud owner of an i5 imac with 24" screen. I also installed bootcamp with Win 10 and use this for Phoenix and other windows based products. While an imac is expensive there are only plus sides compared to windows. All the software you need is already installed and of course OSX upgrades are free and there are no viruses as yet. Running Phoenix in bootcamp you use all the hardware in the mac so the graphics and speed are fantastic. Big investment!! yes but it will last you the rest of your long life.

Succes with your choice.

Andre