CMPro Ventus vs Discus

It would be wrong of me to comment properly as I have no real knowledge of either model. What I will say is this. As with everything in this hobby of ours you really only get what you pay for and at these low prices you're definetly in this category. Err with caution and inspect the model in a model shop beforehand if you can. Cheaper Asia models are flooding the market and whether they be scale or sport, moulded or otherwise a few things come to the fore.

The quality of the fuselage mouldings varies. The low price would suggest the use of a gel coat rather than painting in the mould and gel coat can delaminate and chip off startlingly easily especially around the area of the incidence pins. Squareness is often an issue with these types of cheaply mass produced consumable models.

The wing sections are unlikely to be accurately reproduced from the actual original and there is unlikely to be much beteen them. Wing construction however is a different matter. If you really are stuck between them for looks at 2.6m span pick the one with the best sparring and torsional rigidity. If you intend to use it mostly on the slope take a closer look at the leading edge as well.

With regard to flying - you will probably find that they need a little pace rather than being a slow crawling thermal soarer. Slippery ships like this are difficult to land without some braking methods and both are supplied with a something at least. However my experience of CMPro kits has been that the plastic parts are more likely to be christmas cracker quality than decent engineering items made with longevity in mind.

Just my 2p.

Andy

There are two of the Discus CS sailplanes in our club.  There is a wealth of knowledge available on RCGroups  about both models.  The wing joiner has been a sore point with many people, some new owners having modified the wing roots and beefed up the joiner & tubes.  They have a lot of wing flex and the two in our club both have serious anhedral when sat on the deck.  This might be acceptable to some, but IMO this shouldnt occur. They do look good, and are cheap, but, as Andy says, you get what you pay for in this game.  If I was on the lookout for a 2.5m scaley, I'd be looking to spend a fair few more quid. 

They do fly better in a good breeze on the slope, but as Andy says, they need to be kept moving.

Shaun