P51D plan by Ton Van Munsteren

LHR Dave

Just to add to my Red Eagle Build here is the first pic of my P51D build which is from the same designer Ton Van Munsteren.

p51 d fuselage

Fuselage under construction.

I have now fitted the control snake for the elevator while i still have access.

I can now complete the skinning but will have to use contact adhesive as the access in the fuselage is now limited as the skin goes on.

Just like my Red eagle build , all parts are cut out from scratch using the thinners method as described in my blog Red Eagle 2016 Build.

Link below

**LINK**

Advert

• 2 months later...
Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 01/04/2016 21:58:05:

Hi Dave,

The Mustang is looking great and looking forward to more pics of the build, thanks for starting this thread.

Mine is still going strong and love to fly it as much as possible.

Also ready for the maidenflight of my new P51B.

Cheers

Ton

looks great will plan befor release in the future

andy

• 1 year later...

20170920_114145.jpg20170920_114116.jpg20170920_114107.jpgSome pics of the progress of my mustang . wing now is sheeted on the bottom ready now to add aileron servos etc.

fuselage pic shows parts tapped on for effect.

I am a little apprehensive when it comes to glassing the wing and fuselage as I have never tried this before , but there seems to be plenty advice on line and various debates on this sites forums as to the best approach whether its poly c or zap finishing resin or even L285.

However im sure it will be fine.20170920_114054_001.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

20190518_163013.jpgAfter a very very long lay off from the build (over a year) , finally my mustang is ready for its maiden. I am hoping that it could be this week as I have holiday from work. The mustang is a bit heavier than Tons she weighs in at 2.85 lbs. I have not put any decals on yet as I want to see what happens on the maiden.

The figures on the watt meter come out at 33 amps 345 watts on a 12x 6 prop. I will post the results of the maiden if all goes well.20190518_163001.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just a quick final update .

I have now flown my mustang and it flew just great, I had to reduce the control throws to low rates as she was a tad twitchy on high rates. I had three flights and with a bit of battery position tweaking for the c of g i was very happy with the end result., cant wait to fly her again.

Thanks Ton for a great model , would highly recommend anyone to build this model , but maybe not take as long as I have .smiley

• 2 weeks later...