The Engine Lab two-stroke degree wheel

Bob Sims

Advert

I cannot understand what the point of this wheel is, as all 2 stroke engines have fixed timing so whats the point of checking something that cannot be altered? i dont think many people would want to start grinding the ports out!,  if your old engine is is a pig to start and lacking power and you cant sort it  out by tuning the carb , then its probably worn out and you will see the slack in the piston/liner, and big end and crank bearings. 

Allan Jordan wrote (see)

I have a feeling that this timing wheel is aimed at those of us that would like to have a go at engine building. Alex W has mentioned the possible publishing of his " home knitted engine" in a recent article if my memory is correct.

Let's wait and see.

I agree.... and yes he has.

I have founds this timing wheel very useful when I recently converted my 12 year old Quadra 42 from magneto ignition to electronic ignition.  Now the motor starts with a couple of flicks and runs very smooth. No recoil started spring involved or heavy duty electric starter. The motor is a pound  or two lighter now the magneto coil and flywheel have been replaced by the sensor and ignition unit.