I have been given an unstarted kit...

The leading light of my little French club must have been impressed by the SLEC Fun Fly I've just maidened because he said that he had an incomplete kit at home which he didn't have the time to finish. He said that it was a Nieuport 17; that the fuselage had been framed up but that was all. I went round to his place yesterday to pick it up.

It's actually a 1/3 Scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel! What a beast! What a challenge! It's going to take me years to finish it but I'm pleased that he thought that I was skillful enough to be able to complete the construction of such a fabulous model.

Advert

Steady on Perce!

I've got a house-move coming up and a BE2 to finish! It will take me years to finish this one. At 1/3 scale there can be no cutting corners. As for engines I'll have to see what the budget can stand. Apparently it needs at least a 50cc engine and the largest engine currently in my collection is only 30cc.

An American builder on another website didn't believe that I'd been given the kit so I went up to the (dark) attic and photographed it. The photograph came out rather dark but I don't know much about photography but the metre rule lends scale and the Gemini assures authenticity!

mick reeves sopwith camel.jpg

Well done!

The M.R kits really are superb arent they..it will certainly test your metalworking skills!

Engine wise, a 50cc would be really lacking...Go for either straight Zenoah 62, or for best results a Zenoah 38 with the Toni Clarke reduction drive.

Be warned...the Reeves Camel is not an easy one to fly.

Jez

I doubt that I will fly it!

If I ever complete it I will give it to Roger Aubard, the man who gave it to me, he once finished tenth in the French glider national championship and is the best pilot in the club.

Thanks for the advice about the engines. If the metal working is beyond my skills, I'll sub the job out to another club member, a retired ship's engineer!