Great Planes 300s build

Hi all, just gone and bought myself the Extra 300s. Just thought I'd start a thread to see if there's anybody else on here that has built or planning to build one of these. It only arrived this morning but pleased with the content on quick inspection! Just going to read through the hefty instruction mannual then get started!!

Chris

Advert

Okay, I'll try and take time out to put photos up as I'm going! My last attempt at a build blog started well but I forgot half way through the build, once I realized I popped a few pics of the finished model!! I'll pop a few pics on later. Just started on the stab and so far so good!! Going to be a struggle to build this monster built in my tiny cave!!

chris

Managed to get a good few hours in the shed last night. As per instructions I worked on the stab, elevators, fin and rudder. Pretty straight forward so far. Great quality wood and very detailed instructions have made for a good start! image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Stab sheeted top and bottom then sanded flushimage.jpeg

Elevators

image.jpeg

Fin

image.jpeg

Both sides sheeted; heavy weight on a wooden chopping board to ensure a good bond.

image.jpg

Rudder half built.

image.jpeg

Hi John, it's 64" with a stated finish weight of 7lb. I'm still undecided about the motor but thinking of trying a petrol engine for the first time. I've been looking at the Evolution 20cc but might go for the 10cc (.60) which is the model design size.

YouTube has a few videos of these kits with DLE20's and they appear to to go well.

Petrol looks the better option for both price and usability, but really need to do more research before I commit.

Chris

Managed to get a few more hours in the shed this morning; started on the left wing. I have to say that the laser cut ribs popped out from the sheet with ease and required little sanding. Also, none of the ribs required sanding to fit the wing spar top or bottom. Instructions and plans are very easy to follow too!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Had a good few hours on the build this afternoon. This really is a lovely build so far. A few minor issues with the servo tray but that's it so far! Just stared on the right hand. Wing now. This needs to built up to the same point as the left one before they get joined together.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Unfortunately my shed is only big enough to accommodate smaller models.

image.jpeg

In hindsight I might have been better getting the smaller 40 sized version! If only the boss realized I was using the kitchen as a workshop last night!! By the time she was back from work it was all back to normal!