Powerbox Evolution Spectrum

Having now gone 'Large', I am finding it difficult to get accurate guidance on the 'dual-redundancy' stipulation as required by the CAA for models over 20kg.

I am building a 1/3 Balsa USA Stearman - nice simple 4 channel plus smoke, single hi-power Savox servos on all control surfaces, Spectrum DX9 Black, and a AR9110 9 channel r/x. I thought (wrongly - it appears) that I needed two battery supplies only, but overlooked the fact that 'dual-redundancy' means just that, and I need two receivers as well - whoops!

Having just returned from Modellbau in Dortmund, I was able to see the Powerbox Evolution Spectrum, which seemed to be ideal for my purpose - it already has a built-in Spectrum 9 channel r/x - also twin battery ports. Unfortunately, I have very poor German, and there was a slight problem with my ability to totally be sure of what their rep was telling me (!) - it appears that this reasonably priced Powerbox will do everything I need when connected in line with my AR9110 r/x.

Is there anyone who can support this assumption for me - if so, how goes the set-up and wiring - I also want to include the Powerbox 3e Gyro - any advice or guidance on this little gizmo? All help most welcome.

Advert

I believe redundancy means two separate rx's each powered by separate batteries so the main controls are split between then so if one rx fails you got some control. the powerbox just has satellites   see power box site .

I think you really need to join the LMA and get there advice as if it is over20kg you will have to go through them to get certified

Edited By flight1 on 24/04/2016 12:16:02

Do the LMA view any system based on a power distribution system like a Powerbox, XPS X10+ or FrSky redundancy bus as redundant? They give dual receiver and dual battery pack redundancy and are better than splitting your controls across two RXs in some ways; in the event of an RX or battery failure you retain all your controls. However the power distribution and RF redundancy unit itself is a single point of failure unless you fit two!

Edited By MattyB on 24/04/2016 13:52:44

If you think it's going over 20kg , stop the build at once ...this might avoid extra work and / or disappointment later. Join the LMA and contact the chief examiner. They are really helpful and know their stuff. They will guide you on how to go about certain safe methods of building, logging the build and then certifying the flights.

A bit of reading here for you. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound sharp but it's a different ball game building an over 20kg model.

Edited By cymaz on 24/04/2016 18:53:22

Several interesting points raised - some clarification obviously needed -

(1) I registered with LMA as soon as I contemplated building the Stearman

(2) I registered the build when I considered it likely that with a 7 cylinder radial engine it would be very near or over the 20kg limit

(3) I have been building and designing model aircraft since a Fox 35 was considered a HUGE engine

(4) My current squadron includes 7 quarter scale aircraft (warbirds, biplanes, golden era, light aircraft etc) both muti I/c and electric - so with respect, I am not exactly a twit when it comes to structural and stress issues. Balsa USA also know a thing or two about large model design.

Despite my background, I am completely new to dual-redundancy systems, and as such, need information and some guidance to avoid wasting money on unnecessary or unsuitable equipment. Strangely enough, information is amazingly hard to get from all of the obvious sources - like books, forums, web etc. - so I need to ask people who Already use the stuff, hence my original posting.

I have obviously researched Powerbox Systems - their website and forum are really good, I presume - if you speak German, which I don't - neither did the guy on the Horizon stand at Modellbau Dortmund speak English, so I got really mixed information - not good when I am considering a spend of several hundred more pounds.

Nexus, however, were very helpful, and I now have a plan put forward by them which will do all I want - hopefully - utilising their new Mercury unit, which appears to do everything I want all in one box, plus a few satellite r/x's - result!!

I will post again when I get further on - thanks for all the comments, and apologies for my inadequate information.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 25/04/2016 18:37:39

• 1 year later...

Now almost 2 years down the line due to illness getting in the way of building, I am now on the final stages of the construction of the Stearman - thank you for all your comments incidentally.

I decided to go for the Powerbox Mercury SRS with my Spektrum DX9 transmitter - now all set up with dual batteries and 4 Spektrum DSMX satellites - very nice bit of kit but I believe in 'you get what you pay for'.

Only problem is - the tranny (despite being 'bound' and confirmed on both Tx and the four satellites) will not speak to each other. I have obviously missed something so terribly obvious that I am almost too embarrassed to ask the question - 'what do I have to do with the Tx to prepare it, apart from binding it, i.e. do I have to assign anything or allocate switches etc, in order for the servos to operate?'

And Yes, I have read the very good manual (photo enlarged by a factor of three!) over and over, and plugged servos into all 15 of the servo sockets, but the servos stay stubbornly at rest. Any ideas before my mentor comes to do the test flight and thinks I am a total plonker ?