JST plug current capacity

What is the current carrying capacity of the little red JST plugs used on some models.

I have some lipos with these on for use in my Blade 200 heli and I would like to use the lipos in another model.

Use of the watt meter tells me the motor in the other model is drawing about 10 amps.

Will the connectors handle this without problems?

TIA

Maxg

Advert

With a bit of Googling I think I have found my answer. It would appear to be 3 Amps so they will be no good.

I am suprised that my heli flies on just 3 amps, 33W or maybe blade are over using the connector.

However it will not do for the job in hand. I think I will split the wires on the lipos and put higher capacity connectors on and make up a conversion lead that I can leave on the heli.

Then all should be good.

Thanks

Maxg

It probably isn't efficient, but I have found 6A is fine on a JST even if it isn't strictly rated for it. Anything beyond that and you could have an issue with excessive heating of the connector and ultimately failure. XT60s, EC3s or even Deans are better at that point.

JST rate the RCY (red) connector at 3 Amps. Also noteworthy is that the plastic used is relatively low temp so they are designed for crimp wiring. Best not to solder too near!

**LINK**

This rating is clearly conservative, I know from use that 6 Amps is a reasonable load, but some companies are pushing the loading to ridiculous levels, how about a 1500mAh 3 cell with 30-45C rating??

Quite a few companies are clearly lacking in common sense when it comes to connectors. In the case of the RCY the small section single wiping surface should be a clue!!