aileron shaping

Phil 9

I am trying to finish of a sig something extra kit and I am sanding the ailerons. The TE of the wing is flat so the LE of the aileron needs to be shaped to allow for movement. I guessed a 45 deg chamfer from the middle would do it but I am finding it hard to sand that shape accurately, would a curved shape work? or has anyone any tips of how to sand the correct shape accurately

Yes a curve would work fine.

If you do want a 45 degree shoulder then the method I use is:

1. Note the thickness of the aileron at the hinge.

2. Draw a centre line along this face - a "finger gauge" is accurate enough for this.

3. Mark a point on the upper and and lower surfaces of the aileron and rule a line (finger gauge again) parallel to the hinge edge along the length of the aileron.

4. Now just sand - using a block - such that the chamfer lies between the centre line and the upper and lower line respectively.

This is much harder to describe than to do - takes just a minute to two in practice and works fine for me. smile

BEB

I should have said that the marks on the top and bottom faces should ideally be half the thickness in from the edge. As I say it's kind of obvious, but worth saying just in case!

BEB

PS Also, if you plan on using mylar hinges its probably easier to make the incisions along the centre line - before you sand it.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/06/2016 20:08:53

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/06/2016 20:06:45:

I should have said that the marks on the top and bottom faces should ideally be half the thickness in from the edge. As I say it's kind of obvious, but worth saying just in case!

BEB

PS Also, if you plan on using mylar hinges its probably easier to make the incisions along the centre line - before you sand it.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/06/2016 20:08:53

thanks BEB I did work out the correct distance but I did not make the slots first. I will know better next time yes

peter I do have one and that is what I used and did not get good results. I find the curved edges fantastic but the right angle gives me problems. Some how I always get it at an angle so the point is not central. I know it is my technique but I cant just get it right