Eric Clutton FRED

Advert

I know what you mean re tilt wing, it has more that a bit of fly flea about it to my mind but a high set parasol it is. The original had an under cambered wing section, maybe I should have gone with that but for ease of construction and indeed covering I went with a flat section but the same chord ratio so yes it is a thick section but does not seem to affect the flight performance any, nice and stable with good control authority and the stall is just a bit of a mushy nose drop. I recon it would actually scale up really nicely at 1/4 or 1/3rd scale perhaps in the future, As always to many projects but I have the urge for a WW1 biplane next when I get a few other things out of the way and the benches are clear

Happy New Year to all FRED lovers.

Here is a scale side view of FRED from my copy of the full size plans.

It nicely illustrates the wing airfoil section and the Volkswagen engine thrust line.

If you look at my previous pictures of Eric's original aircraft, it now has a Continental A-65 engine installed.

For Stephen: The wing has a fixed incidence angle but it does pivot back for road towing, drawing shows the position of the wing when stowed for towing.

scale dwg.jpg

• 9 months later...

I was in Tullahoma last month and stopped by to visit Eric Clutton. He is a hale and hearty 90 year old and still building and flying model aircraft. He has a number of 4 engine WWII bomber models that he flies. Sadly his previous FRED model was destroyed in an accident, is it possible that we can get Eric a complimentary copy of Lindsay's plans?

I would be happy to provide Eric's address and reimburse postage via Paypal.

Thanks, Mike

FRED NC808MY

Percy, Sorry but I can't fit fin and rudder to FRED as he's trapped in my workshop by an engine less MG. The horizontal tail has to be fitted to mount the vertical fin and that's not possible at this time. I rigged the rudder/fin in my lounge, hope this helps.

Note that on the real FRED the rudder hinges to the stern post of the fuselage and the fin fastens to the top of the horizontal tail. This makes it all removable  with the horizontal for road towing.

cimg3786.jpg

Edited By Michael Young 1 on 07/10/2017 14:10:25