Servo lugs

Keith Evans 3

Glad to hear that Keith, I do repairs too, not just for myself, but also for other club mates. I would just hate to think you lost a model for the sake of one servo. However as they say practice makes perfect. Just be sure to test the repaired servo under load for a good few minutes to check all is secure before committing to the air smiley

Ronaldo

Edited By Ronaldo on 28/06/2016 11:23:53

Edited By Ronaldo on 28/06/2016 11:24:58

Advert

Hi Don ,

Long story ,When I started to fly at my local club I initially found it hard to get to know the field and the perspective needed to fly over the trees in and around the site .Consequently I would "land " in a tree ! ! This was happening quite regularly so I was given the nickname of "Squirell" as I was forever climbing trees to recover the models .

Usually I needed to rip the models from the trees so it fell to the ground usually nose first .

The lugs would sometimes be broken after such an adventure and only in planes that I had attached the servos inside the fuselage by cross beams .The inertia would rip the cross beams from the fuselage side supports ,sometimes taking a lug of a servo with it .

I've never had a problem in similar situations where the servos are screwed into a ply plate in side the fuselage or are wing mounted ,

All my current new models use the ply plate arrangement .

The servos are fully tested and are only ever used again in throttle operations with no further issues ,as of yet ! ! !

My most satisfactory repairs have been to weld the lugs back on using a soldering iron . The glues I tried didn't seem to work for me , but my prefered option was a change of case with a stripped gear servo .

Thanks for all the suggestion , I now have a few more options to try if I ever need to .

Right, stick to throttle. But in the past I have economised on throttle servos. And driving a machine round the sky, trying not to pull the wings off, until it runs out of fuel, you wonder at that moment why you are risking so much time money and effort, for a servo. We all make mistakes, hopefully once, but a plane for a servo is not in my view worth the risk.