Devil's Duster

John

Thanks John I'll go to it straight away. I had all but given up on obtaining a plan for the DD, so I drew one up myself from memory. As the drawing progressed however, it has moved away from the original in that the DD was a 56inch triangle and would difficult to get in and out of a small vehicle, (back then I had a Volvo estate). I have designed it to be in three sections, i e Port and starboard wings and a centre section. I hope I have got it right, the DD plan will soon let me know.

Thanks again

David

Advert

Hi All.

I have just received a beautiful plan, (2 large sheets), from Derick Scott of Model-Plans, see above, of the CAP Devils Duster. The plans are a perfect copy of the original aircraft designed by W. Fleming, cleaned up with no yellowing, well done Derick. Placing my part built wings over the DD plan, the shape is almost a perfect fit, (got that right), and the wing section is almost the same, mine is an NACA0015. That is about the only thing in common that my design has with the original, mine will be slightly larger and in 3 sections, laying the original plans on the floor it would be very difficult to get it into my car. but not impossible. If mine flies like the original did, I will have no complaints.

Happy landings

David

DCW I hope you can post some photos of the DD and when finished I would love to hear your flight report on the model. It is an interesting looking model and I'm tempted to build on myself. I already have a couple of projects on the go so this one will be on the back burner until I can finish them. so anything you can add may help me decide if it is for me

Thanks John.

I will keep you and everyone else posted, I still have a lot of building ahead of me, afterwards I may even build another original DD. The structure of the original DD is quite simple, the only problem is because the wing is symmetrical some sort of jig is required. I built mine 'kebab' style with steel wing joiners through the chord line.

I wonder if Mr W. Fleming is still around?

Bye

David

Hi Phil.

It is probably a good idea to get yourself a set of plans from Derick Scott. A look at these plans is almost certain to inspire you to want to build one. The DD although neutrally stable is easy to fly. Not a first model but a good second or third one. I will certainly post images on this thread and keep you posted on its progress. As you will see from earlier on in this thread the model I am at present building is a deviation from the original. It will be in three sections for easy transport, Which means a change in the design to accommodate wing joiners, this will mean that the model may be slightly heavier. Elevon control will be electronic via the transmitter and not a sliding servo as on the original DD plan. Power will be an ASP 61 four stroke. I now just need time to get it finished.

Watch this space, all the best. David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Phil, thanks Percy. The original plan is available from Derick Scott of Model-Plans, I obtained my copy well after I had drawn up and started building my version. I hope that a few other guys will build one as well any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Happy landings

David

Hi Piers.

I have been making up the structure as I build, find a problem, think about it and carry on. I find myself spending more time than thinking than building! The power source is to be an ASP61 four stroke, at £115 it's a 'steal'. I already have one of these in my Pteranodon which weighs over 11lb and their is no shortage of power even at that weight.

Did I hear that you will be building a DD?....

Best regards

David

Hi David, well yes, I did say that I talked myself into building one but I do have other projects on the go, so shall we say the DD is on the list! I am at the covering stage of my PSS A4 Skyhawk build plus one or two other models that need a bit of fettling. I have also been looking at an old Aero modeller plan (June 1973) of a FF tailless sportster of just 31in span called Oini. I have enlarged it to 60in for electric power, the original had a cox pee wee pusher. I thought it might be suitable as an FPV platform, as I have not tried that before but I will have to see if it is stable and suitable. It looks like a quirky quick-build anyway.

I too have an ASP 61 but sadly it is just sitting in it's box at present looking for a nice model. No, I am not going to give it away to a good home - I will find the time some day!

Looking forward to news of your 'DD mk2' first flight, - before long hopefully.

Regards,

Piers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Percy, Piers and all.

Change of engine for the DD Mk2. Originally I was going to use an ASP61FS from, but the price has risen from £115 to £135. This means that for a few 'dollars' more I can obtain an SC70 Mk II at £149.90. A little heavier, but the extra power is probably worth It.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone interested in building the original Devil's Duster these are images of the 2 part plan. Available from Derick Scott of Model Plans, you will have to email him, the DD plan is not yet listed. www.model-plans.co.uk. Cost about £10, see earlier in the thread. DW.

Devils duster planDevils duster plan