price comparison

I need an upgraded pair of metal retract trunnions for my Starmax P51 mustang 1600mm, flying weight 2.7kg

My research has led me to E-Flite 25+46 90degree, retracts but they are so expensive, I`m hoping someone on the forum could point me to a suitable replacement from Hobbyking.

Advert

Posted by Percy Verance on 09/07/2016 18:02:16:

I'm not a retract user personally Eric as I fly from grass fields. I have seen others use them over the years though, and it's probably fair to say you'll get what you pay for here. The cheapie stuff just doesn't stand up to regular use.

A little while back I knew of a chap who'd designed and built his own quite large Spitfire. When he reached the point of needing a set of retracts, he was in the same boat as yourself. He initially went down the HK route, but without much success. He eventually had to have a pair of bespoke units made, at a cost of around £200+.........

Your model is of considerably less bulk though Eric, so the E Flite jobs might well do the job. I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and fork out to get lasting quality Eric.

Edited By Percy Verance on 09/07/2016 18:04:50

I've never had a problem with retracts on grass, either small electric or 60cc. Short mown grass that is not hay meadow.

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here - I've used the HK £5 odd plastic body 5kg main units on two models and they proved totally reliable. One model was a 91 powered H9 Texan, the other an ST G61 powered Blue Angel. Both were flown off grass. The only ones I had a problem with were the 5Kg nosewheel units which did prove fragile.

I have had problems with E-Flite 60-120 units, the lead needs to be well supported ideally with a dab of contact glue where it exits the PC board as it seems to suffer fatigue at this point and HH can't/won't supply replacement PCBs. As the PCB is epoxy coated you can't just solder the lead back on either.  I think the 46 size units are the same.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 11/07/2016 10:06:47