JUST GETTING STARTED WITH BIG RC HELICOPTERS

George coleman 1

Hello guys, I have been flying helicopters for a while now starting off with a really small helicopter which i carnt remeber the name or make but it was pritty standard, only for in house use. then i moved onto a " Queen bee " this was more outdoor but not so good in high winds and my house isnt quiet big enough for it. Now i want to go a step bigger, something that is powerful enough for the big outdoors even in high winds. So what info can you all give me on what to get nexted?? make, madel maybe a Heicopters for sale site?? or a shop where the pro's go??

Any info would be great

Thanks

Advert

How conpetent are you with the helis you have? I went direct from a Twister Bell 47 to an Align T-Rex 500 as soon as I was able to hold a steady hover in all orientations -- i.e. my brain/eye/hand coordination was sorted.

That was about 7 years ago, and things have moved on since then. A 450 size flybarless might be more appropriate now. If you're happy building, a kit will save you a bit of money and will give you a good insight for when you have to rebuild after a crash.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 12/07/2016 13:16:34

I suggest you look at a Blade 230s. This is a full collective control Heli but with SAFE and PANIC recovery modes to assist in learning 3D moves, etc. While "only" a 230, it actually easily outflies a 450 even in a very stiff breeze and the parts count and repair costs are significantly lower (and less likely).

I'm basing this on having long term experience of Nano, MCPX, BL MCPX, 130x, 180CFX, 230s, TRex 250/450/500/550/600/700, plus 30, 50 and 92 class engine powered.

I use Midland Helicopters for preference since they have consistently given me service WAY over and above any other supplier

Posted by Dave Bran on 12/07/2016 13:30:43:

I suggest you look at a Blade 230s. This is a full collective control Heli but with SAFE and PANIC recovery modes to assist in learning 3D moves, etc. While "only" a 230, it actually easily outflies a 450 even in a very stiff breeze and the parts count and repair costs are significantly lower (and less likely).

I'm basing this on having long term experience of Nano, MCPX, BL MCPX, 130x, 180CFX, 230s, TRex 250/450/500/550/600/700, plus 30, 50 and 92 class engine powered.

I use Midland Helicopters for preference since they have consistently given me service WAY over and above any other supplier

Thanks for the info on the Blade 230s, I have been looking on some sites and doing my research and This seems very compatible with what i am looking for with out too much cost i found some good heli's on a blade 230 classified add site just to get an understanding of prices etc... i will be down the gadget shop in the afternoon.

Blade 230

Thanks everyone for you'r input

There is only ONE thing wrong with the 230s, and that is the canopy colour. Whoever decided that dirty green/blue yellow "camo" was a good scheme should be shot! After one flight I added lots of flouro solartrim.

I then bought a flouro red hexagon scheme canopy that aids orientation considerably and does not hide against sky or scenery but after using one on my Nano, have advised others (and had my thoughts confirmed by them) that the "Angry Bird" scheme is an excellent one as the human brain in legacy hunter killer mode is keyed to look for a "face" and eyes.

I use 850mAh 3S Nano-Tech on mine, they easily fit the canopy and give excellent duration for a fraction of the Blade price.

One of Blades better designs, as distinct from the 130x "Red Bull" BO-105 which is pretty dire.

Edited By Dave Bran on 13/07/2016 07:35:31

Posted by Dave Bran on 13/07/2016 07:34:43:

There is only ONE thing wrong with the 230s, and that is the canopy colour. Whoever decided that dirty green/blue yellow "camo" was a good scheme should be shot! After one flight I added lots of flouro solartrim.

I then bought a flouro red hexagon scheme canopy that aids orientation considerably and does not hide against sky or scenery but after using one on my Nano, have advised others (and had my thoughts confirmed by them) that the "Angry Bird" scheme is an excellent one as the human brain in legacy hunter killer mode is keyed to look for a "face" and eyes.

I use 850mAh 3S Nano-Tech on mine, they easily fit the canopy and give excellent duration for a fraction of the Blade price.

One of Blades better designs, as distinct from the 130x "Red Bull" BO-105 which is pretty dire.

Edited By Dave Bran on 13/07/2016 07:35:31

Would it be easier to get a different coloured Rc blade 230 canopy or could i just spray the plastic with a thin layer of spray paint and get creative?? i have found a good website http://www.for-sale.co.uk/rc-blade-230-canopy you can find them here for a good price... i think. Or will the paint mess with the stability??

Thanks again

Edited By George coleman 1 on 13/07/2016 07:52:49

Edited By George coleman 1 on 13/07/2016 07:54:02