Spektrum AS3X gain values

Intend installing new AR636 Rx in a scale Lockheed Vega, and wonder if anyone has any advice on typical gain settings for this type of model. There are forum posts elsewhere offering experience with 3D types (quite low settings around 15% on conventional gain) but suggesting much higher values for more sedate sport/scale types - no figures offered. I am guessing 40% - 60% might be OK to start, but would welcome advice on typical figures from anyone who has already got sorted with this system.

Advert

Thanks Denis - looks like start low & increase by trial & error. I'm thinking FM1 @ 0% ('off switch', FM2 20%, FM3 30% for first flight. Is there any point in any heading hold settings at this stage? I've heard they can potentially be more trouble than they are worth for normal flying. Any ideas on priority settings? I'm using the Spektrum PC programming download for set ups, and unfortunately this has none of the help/explanation/guidance info apparently available on the iPhone or Android phone apps (and the video tutorials all assume you are using these and constantly refer to the help button for detailed guidance).

Edited By John Dimond on 14/07/2016 10:40:45

John, keep it as simple as you can. Make certain 0℅ is OFF, as is logical, as on one of my Tx, 100℅ is OFF.

I do not use heading hold, as personally I found the stabilisation too strong

At my small field, the turning circle was too great with it on

Another check, to see that low idle is still set on loss of signal, for failsafe

Be confident, the system does work, and using it is far simpler than explaining it.

John,

I have been experimenting with a AR9350 in a hack model before installing it in its final home. What TX are you using? I used the Relative function to tune the gain in flight for each of the 3 axis separately starting at 0%. Having a trusted co pilot on your elbow is good while doing this.

Heading hold is not used for normal flight. Defiantly not on rudder. It comes into use for holding knife edge, slow rolls, prop hanging ect. May be for holding the wings level on landing. I don't like an over stabilised feel.

I left priority at 100% stick Centre ramping down to 0% at full stick so as to retain full throw.