Moving on from a trainer

Ross McWhirter

I have a Sebart Shark and am looking to move on to an F3a plane. A fellow club member has said why not go straight to a 125 Mythos rather than a 50 size. Is this too much of a jump in one go? If I spent about £1,200 now on a 50 size plus batteries I might need to spend double that on top of that in a year when I want to go to a 125 size. Would I find the 125 size similar to a 50 size to fly?

Advert

A great deal depends on how proficient you are with the shark. If you can make that model do pretty much every aerobatic maneuver in the book with nice accuracy and control then you will probably be ok. If however you have just gone solo then its not a great idea and frankly I would personally recommend something in between the two no matter how good you are with the shark as there is no substitute for experience

Hi Ross, I don't think you need to spend £1,200 on a 50 size F3A machine. Take a look at the Bondaero offer of airframe, motor, ESC and digital servos for £275!

Either the Axiome or Nuance will do you nicely. BUT, the most important thing is to be able to land the aircraft properly. Banging it down will damage the undercarriage as in most F3A aircraft this is a relatively weak structure. If you are still struggling to fly the Clubman as a full schedule you will not need a Mythos 125 at the moment. These 70 size aircraft will, if you enter competition, serve you up to Masters.

You also need to be able to trim all F3A airframes, 2 mtr included, to fly the way that they should. If you have not already found the trim chart on the GBR/CAA website, it's well worth consulting. as is this section on getting started in Aerobatics.

If you are in the East Anglia Area then please pm me and I can give you some more advice.

Peter