Which Spektrum set?

Tim Yates

Advert

Tim. I have no idea how many channels you might need but the choice has more in it than just that. When I went to 2.4 I bought. 6 channel Futaba and a DX6i. both brand new Both good radios but within a month I had sold both and bought the 8 channel versions of both radios secondhand. 6 channels were all I needed but the general quality and feel of the 8 channel Spektrum was better

It was little things on both like not being able to lock the engine cut for electric models on the dx6i or single rate switch for everything on the Futaba

I also did not like the battery box arrangement on either

Food for thought every modeller will have their own ideas but personal preference is important

Thanks for replies. OK 6 channels for heli's, but go and take a look and hold the superior handsets to see if they feel better.

I guess 6 channels is also fine for the majority of planes too as most entry level planes are 4 channel. So a 6 channel transmitter would offer reasonable flexibility for any planes i may want in the near future (NB: i currently can only claim to be an entry level with planes, and a beginner with heli's.

• 4 weeks later...

6 channels is OK for planes, but if you want to fly a powered glider with ailerons and flaps and have crow braking then 7 channels are needed. Even though a lot of entry level planes are 4 channel, you often put the ailerons on separate channels so you can program in aileron differential and spoilerons/flapperons.