Dual Rates with 2 Aileron Channels

pete taylor

A question for Taranis experts -

I know that I've missed something here, but on my Eurofighter Typhoon I have 2 channels for ailerons and 2 for the elevator/canards.

I've programmed dual rates in the usual way for each channel (all 4) and allocated switches to each function - 1 for aileron and 1 for the canards.

HOWEVER... what I'm getting is just the one of each surface being effected by the dual rates (the primary channel in each case)

Can anyone shed any light on this before I pull any remaining hair out please? crook

Thanks, Pete

Edited By pete taylor on 08/09/2016 14:00:24

Advert

Posted by Mike Blandford on 08/09/2016 14:19:33:

I'm not sure what you mean by "the usual way". Dual rates are best set on the inputs, not the mixes (channels).

So, you apply the dual rate to the aileron input (stick), then it is automatically used in any mix that uses that input.

Make sure you do use the input (and not the raw stick) in the mixes.

Mike.

+1 - do it on the Inputs screen and use "[I2] Ail" as the mixer source. Do it like that and all will be well whether you have 1, 2 or 22 aileron servos!

Edited By MattyB on 08/09/2016 15:15:36

What the guys say above is spot on - but,...there is another way of doing this that is slightly different and explots the fact that receivers such as the X8R have lots of "spare" channels - being actually 16 channel rX's.

Create an Aileron Master Channel - nothing special in itself - its input is from the Aileron stick. This can be a sort of "virtual" channel - let's say we make it channel 9. Now make the two actual aileron channels copies of that in the Mixer screen. (You can do this for the elevators as well but depending on the physical arrangement of your servos you may have to have +100% weight on one and -100% weight on the other)

What is the benefit of this? Simply put anything you do to the Master channel now affects both slave channels. Add expo, add a delay. slow the channel, set up rates - anything. You just edit the master and its all "taken care of".

Just another way of doing it!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/09/2016 15:53:36:

What is the benefit of this? Simply put anything you do to the Master channel now affects both slave channels. Add expo, add a delay. slow the channel, set up rates - anything. You just edit the master and its all "taken care of".

Surely that's the same as if you assigned rates, expo, delay, slow etc. directly to the aileron on the input screen isn't it, only with an extra layer of processing in further mixing channels? Or am I missing something?

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 08/09/2016 17:20:48:

Surely that's the same as if you assigned rates, expo, delay, slow etc. directly to the aileron on the input screen isn't it, only with an extra layer of processing in further mixing channels? Or am I missing something?

Yes and no. Some things you have listed can be applied at the Inputs screen, and others can't - slowing is not available there, and you can only have one of Expo or Differential, not both; I always do expo on Inputs as it's a property of the stick, whereas Differential is better in the mixer as it's a property of the surface.

Re: where you implement the slowing/delays though, I have found that is more an art than a science - there are so many place you can do it (flight modes, mixer, logic switches etc). I can always remember directly after completing a complex setup, but by the next time I do one I've forgotten again!

Edited By MattyB on 08/09/2016 17:46:57

Posted by Mike Blandford on 08/09/2016 17:18:00:

Because the X8R supports 16 channels (directly on SBUS) I would advise using a channel above 16 as the 'virtual' channel, you might as well start at channel 32 for this.

Mike.

Not sure on this Mike. I tend to use channel 9 for 2 reasons.

1. I don't have any planes that require more than 8 channels at the moment.

2. Channel 9 is visible in the Companion without having to scroll down so its possible to see all the programming at once.

This use of a virtual channel is common for heli pilots where it is used for the collective.

To answer Bob's question. Surely isn't this part of the fun of OpenTX in giving a variety of ways of doing the same thing? We all develop our own favourite ways of doing things.