How to reattach rear fuselage

Graeme Poke

We can all agree to disagree but without a photo of what we are repairing it is all pretty academic! How well the wood mates together, how thick it is, how much filler will be going in to fill the cracks! It is all a judgement call and down to experience and preference. Martin Harris had a good point about stress raisers;- local reinforcement is often not a lot of good unless the load is spread. Like BEB said, a bit of extra weight down the back end is generally not a good thing, as it usually requires a lot of weight up the front end to compensate! However, if it stops the tail falling off mid-flight it is probably not a bad thing after all!. Perhaps building a new fuz is the best solution, - if not the quickest. Decisions, decisions!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/09/2016 19:06:04

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

After lots of your good advice from the Forum, I have tackled the problem and she is ready to fly again. The forecast for Thursday is good. It looks ok from a distance, a bit rough up close. The only slight concern I have, apart from breaking up, is that the tail plane is not quite lining up with the main plane, about 3 mm out of alignment. I thought of packing up the main wing but thought I would see what happens first. Maybe a bit of trimming will fix it good enough for my mad flying. i have even figured out how to include pictures for your perusal...I think! See how we go. Thanks for all the help.