Electric power train connections

I have recently acquired my first electric plane after years of petrol motors. At this point I have the appropriate motor, Esc and lipos. The Hacker lipos have EC3 connectors on. All other connections are made to suit the individual so I will need to buy a selection of connectors and solder them. My question is, and I need advice on this. I need some sort of arming switch that can be activated once the battery is connected. Is there any simple youtube vid or any direction you can point me in to illustrate all the connections I need to make as a whole? Thanks.

Advert

Hi Adrian,

I have found that the simplest physical arming mechanism is a plug. You can get these from HK among others - see here it can be a bit tricky to find these in the UK - you may have to order from abroad. You can make them yourself as well quite easily. They are good for upto about 60amps or so. Beyond that you need a bigger plug!

TBH for smaller installations I tend to rely on the intelligent throttle cut and disable logic I have programmed into Taranis - I only use arm plugs as a "belt and braces" on large ( over 60A) installations.

BEB

Given that an electric motor with a prop on is actually more dangerous that the equivalent IC engine (self starts and does not stop when the prop hits an obstruction) as BEB points out the only sure way for it to be 'safe' is for it to be physically disconnected (unplugged) from the battery.

Even the prop on a humble 120W (10A) motor can give you a severe cut (or rather cuts!) that needs stitches.