How to ??

ericrw

Why is it only suitable for a two bladed prop Eric? It will work with 4 blades just the same.

Basically put your prop on, in an unbalanced state one blade will be heavier - it will tend to swing to the bottom. Lighten that blade, try again. You do this until no blade shows a clear tendancy to be the "bottom blade".

BEB

The prop I`m trying to balance is a FMS 4 bladed prop and the prop centre disc measures 4", which cannot be used with my present Balancer. It is the only 4 blader I have and I do not expect to go in that direction again. I know that a Du-Bro would allow this but I was hoping that someone out there may have a DIY answer to my problem.

Ah - you mean it just isn't big enough - not that it can only do two-blade props?

Yeap - OK no problem. Just use a suitable shaft to hold the prop on its disc - when I did this for what might very well be the same prop (the FMS 1450mm Mustang) I just used a piece of steel bar I had lying around in the workshop.

Take two wooden blocks high, enough to support the prop clear from the ground - so about 8-9" tall. Set a standard razor blade in the end face of each. Level the blades of the razors using a spirit level and some shimms under the blocks, then just rest the shaft on the blades and you're away.

BEB

PS For the FMS prop I actually found it easier to add a little CA to the central hub opposite the heavy blade - rather than lighten the heavy blade. This worked well.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/10/2016 19:54:03

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/10/2016 19:56:49