Vertical storage - which way up?

The Wright Stuff

We have recently had half of our double garage converted into living space. All well and good, but it's predictably left me with less space to store my collection of flyable models. Most I prefer to store with wings left on (all the unthreading-rethreading of aileron, flap, undercarriage servo leads is a pain), and I'm talking mainly about medium size (45" to 65" electric foamies.

Hanging from the garage ceiling isn't possible - it's already full, so I'm looking at wall mounting them vertically (like hanging pictures) on the garage wall in the unconverted half. They have to be high enough up that a car can still be parked in there occasionally. Most images I have seen from other modellers tend to have them hanging by the tail. Not sure I'm 100% comfortable with this idea with foam tailplanes - would it be better to hang from the prop instead (i.e. facing upwards)?

It seems logical to me, because the thrust force is transmitted through the prop shaft when in use, but I just wondered if there was any risk of chronic stress on the motor bearings if they were stored long term like this?

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 28/10/2016 14:45:04

Advert

Practically all my planes are suspended - whether with or without wings, by nose or by tail, depending upon which way is most practicable/convenient, so far I haven't noticed any adverse effects whichever way you hang 'em. (And that includes balsa, ply, foam and/or correx!) The only consistent factor being that they are all electric or wind-powered, I guess if fitted with one of those oily noisy things on the front there may be some good reason to stick with nose-up or nose-down, but unburnt electrons don't appear to leave dribble marks on fuzes nor puddles on the floor. 😎

Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 28/10/2016 15:15:18:
I guess if fitted with one of those oily noisy things on the front there may be some good reason to stick with nose-up or nose-down, but unburnt electrons don't appear to leave dribble marks on fuzes nor puddles on the floor. 😎

Gurth, FYI those oily noisy things are known as "engines" and I find them wonderfully inspirational. Just thought you might like to know what they are...

BTW, dribbles on the floor are easily avoided by judicious use of paper towel.

The only real drawback with unburnt electrons is their innate desire to become burnt ones!

A part of my wall storage.

Wall store 4

I have no problem hanging foam by its tail, ideally from the leading edge of the fin but the tail plane is ok. I use an bracket bent up from thin sheet aluminium to spread the load.

The two EDF have the EDFs 'right at the back' so are suspended from the fixed motor supports in the EDF body.

The Petiterina and the HK Slow Stick fuselage are suspended from their tail wheels! wink 2