Ben Buckle Junior 60

cymaz

I have just invested in this Ben Buckle Junior 60 kit and a .30 four stroke to power her with.

What I would like to know is ................is there any good build threads or sites that show a build as the plans and destructions ( sorry intructions ) are a little vague.

I built a Sig Somethin' Extra last year which was my first build and really enjoyed it. At the moment I am overseeing my boy who is building a Great Planes Super Sportster kit for his D of E skill.

Any thoughts really appreciated.

Advert

Hiya Peter

I'd recomment the SLEC building jig - comprising stick-on vinyl grid, and a number of right-angled brackets. This will help you build the fuselage straight. SLEC sell it at the model shows, but it should also be available from the big mail order shops.

Also - get a decent belt/circular sander so you can put perfect angled faces on the ends of uprights and longerons. I've never built a Junior 60, but I believe it's a fairly standard vintage build using lots of sticks, and a few bits of sheet infill. I've allways found that getting a straight angle on the end of a piece of balsa is impossible in the hand, and darn difficult even if using the edge of a bench - but circular sanding tables do it in a trice.

I don't know of any build threads on the Junior 60, and I don't have the instructions to compare. Might be worth giving BB themselves a call, as it's run by people who probably have a Junior 60 or two under their belt.

AlistairT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great news Emil.......I need to decrease my wing incedence a little more so that it will fly level without using all my down trim. I find the best coditions to fly the Junior 60 is calm. My rule of thumb is if the branches are moving its too windy.

Enjoy getting it out of the loft...................   P.S. Don't fall through the hatch....messy business that!

Timbo - forum moderator wrote (see)
This should be interesting
What would you suggest Timbo? I have something very similar in vintage and layout. Currently planning on leaving it free flight and installing my PAW .049 diesel. But something in me (I don't know why) is thinking I could do another one and electrify and R/C it.

Well I see Peter has gone quiet on the intended electrification of the old bird - surprise surpise

Its not really my sort of model, so with limited experience of it, but a lack of obvious discrimination, my suggestion would be.....

About 12" prop, slow turning, for that vintage experience, so a low Kv outrunner.

AUW I guess around 3.5 - 4Lbs ? - if so, then 300 Watts should be more than enough.

LiPo or Nickel ? assuming LiPo then probably 3s would do 300 Watts / 10.5V = 28.5Amps

So we need a low Kv 300watt motor happy at 28+ Amps, a 3s Lipo and a 40A ESC

Assuming ( again ) a budget restraint....hows this for starters?

ESCs and batteries are everywhere, so get googling.  I suggest a 2500maH battery of around 20C or so, then at 28A its only pushing 11C static WOT - so in the air just stogging around vintage style it is hardly loaded at all. You could even try a 2s pack for longer slower flights.

A nice alternative ( assuming charger capabilty etc ) would be  4s X A123 cells, for in-house fast recharging.

• 5 months later...