Taylotcraft plan identification.

A couple of years ago I bought this on e-bay for 99p.

I bought it a) for the engine mount and b) because it was local.

However the airframe was too good to throw away, so I put it n the loft. The wingspan is 109 ins.

It was sold as an Auster Arrow and that is what it said on both sides of the fuselage. However after doing some research it appears to be a Taylorcraft B.

Having started to restore it I have found it to be built from a plan and would say that originally it was built for single channel radio. There being only one control rod in the fuselage and only one tube out at the back, in line with the rudder horn.

The curious thing is that the elevators appear to be the same age as the rest of it, but there is no means of controlling them.

It was built to a very good standard, although later repairs are having to be "dealt with".

I am intending to rebuild it petrol powered (4 stroke) and am open to suggestions on wing covering. Solartex would be best, but extremely expensive. Has anybody had experience using lightweight polyester cotton on a model this size ?

Can anyone tell me who deigned it and is there a plan anywhere ?

Here are some photos.

taylorcraft b 5.jpg

taylorcraft b 1.jpg

taylorcraft b 3.jpg

taylorcraft b 4.jpg

taylorcraft b 2.jpg

Edited By kevin b on 27/11/2016 17:05:09

Advert

I think it probably is a Goliath or maybe based on it & modified to be more accurate as a scale Taylorcraft/Auster.

The Goliath was featured in the February 1949 Aeromodeller but IIRC instead of a reduced scale plan there were a couple of photos & a cutaway drawing showing the construction, span was given as 108".

I'm pretty sure the article said that it had been flown free flight & that conversion to RC was planned.

Edited By PatMc on 27/11/2016 17:56:55

Well, thanks to Derick at Model Plans UK I can now confirm it is a Goliath.

This plan dates back to 1948 and was a very early radio control design, but with a (very) small rudder. These days we would call it "Radio Assisted" free flight.

The model itself has the hooks inside to carry the rubber band supported radio receiver, and looks very much as if it was built in the early fifties at the latest. The general condition of the wood is not that bad and now I have it completely stripped there is not a huge amount of woodwork to do. A few patches to the panels on the fuselage and the odd breakage on the wings, plus dry joints. Most of the damage appears to have been caused by storage. Fitting ailerons will present no problems.

Originally it should have been powered by an early petrol engine of 10-15cc capacity. I fancy putting a 4 stroke petrol in it and am open to suggestions on size.

I will post photos as I go along.