Extreme Flight MXS-EXP 64"

My second venture into leccy flight is the Extreme Flight MXS-EXP 64" and I must say I am impressed even comparing it to my Sebart 50E Mythos.

I don't propose to cover all the build as there is a rather good video on YouTube which does that better than I can. That said the first thing that struck me about this EF kit is the carbon fibre U/C legs. Much better than the Sebart metal ones because despite the light weight, with the battery, they have a tendency to BEND on landing!

Anyway the wings were completed with out fuss. I decided to leave off the EFGs and just use the standard wing tips. I am impressed that the kit came with a nice wing bag.

p1040228.jpg

p1040229.jpg

I am using digital Hitec 5245 mg servos through out and no modification is required to fit them.

Advert

Elevator and rudder servos are both direct drive via push rods and fit neatly.

p1040232.jpgp1040233.jpgp1040234.jpgAll good stuff. Next I will fit the push rods and then on to the motor. I am using the recommended power train of Torque 4016T/500 Brushless Outrunner and an Airbus Elite 80 Amp ESC. The intention is to use a 6S 3800 mAh Lipo. (recommended 5S-6S 3300-4000 mAh) so this should be sufficient. Hopefully, some time next week if I find time to be done.

Nice one yes your hanger must be getting full again!

I have my first wing bags in 35 years and can't believe I didn't use them before - love them!

Good luck with the build Adrian, keep us posted.

Unfortunately my build and flying has stalled due to commitments this time of year.

Edited By Rich2 on 06/12/2016 18:48:30

Right, just had time to fit the motor.

p1040235.jpgQuite a painless exercise and I used blue thread locker on all screws as per manual. After fitting the ESC I quickly checked all was well with the servos and the motor was rotating in the correct sense (without prop on!) . I fitted the cowl as per manual using tape to mark where to drill the holes on the cowl holder tabs. That was a fiddle as try as I might in holding the cowl in place with other bits of tape was almost impossible. Anyway just managed to fit it. More photos another time. As s side point, unlike the Hacker ESCs, theAirBus Elite ESC has an isolating switch wired into it to control the power to the RX. Much prefer that I must say.

Hi Adrian,

I was recently treated to a 60'' Laser EXP. The first completely niggle-free assembly I've ever had I think. Like you I was very impressed by the general quality. I used all the recommended gear and 3300 6S lipos. I went with a 2S lipo to power the radio and servos. I've flown it a few times now and I have to say it is superb. Extremely neutral, roll rate can be as fast as you want it to be, it tumbles like nobody's business, is easy to prop-hang, even for me, and the only 3D I've done up to now is with my little foamy Crack Yak and Laser. I'm still fine-tuning it and I've got lots to learn, but I already love it. I'm sure you'll like the MXS just as much.

And I'm quite pleased with the wing bag too.

John.

Good to hear John, I am looking forward to getting the maiden done when the Suffolk mists clear!

Cowl now all fitted and prop, spinner tightened and tested.

p1040236.jpgWhile the manual doesn't mention it, I have cut an airflow outlet to the rear of the wing tube. Solely, because one of the pictures on the box shows this as a requirement.

p1040237.jpgRan out of time today so I will check the CoG another day. I am using 3800 6S Lipo so I will so how that works out.

• 1 month later...

At long last the much anticipated maiden took place today. It was a bit chilly at 3C, but virtually no wind so here goes. The first flight saw the need straight away for a few clicks of down elevator, as she displayed the old angel searching for heaven routine. That sorted did a few aeros and concluded that a little more rudder throw is required for better stall turns and holding knife edge. That done she flew beautifully. I set the TX to 5 minutes for safety, but I detected there was more juice left beyond any safety margin.

p1040267.jpgThere we go landed in one piece on the grass strip and back to the pits to change the Lipo.

Second flight undertaken and I loved every bit of it! She slows right up for landing and I defy anybody not to manage a nice greaser!

p1040268.jpgGreat start to her life, but next two flights this morning reserved for the Mythos50E

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished assembling my MSX. I have also used the Torque motor which looks to be well made and quite light. I have used the new Align DS530 servos. These are supplied with the Trex 500 helicopterimg_20170201_162207696.jpg kits and can produce 9KG of torque. More than enough for my gentle F3A style of flying.

The Kit is very similar to the SebArt models I have flown over the past 5 years. The same fittings and construction techniques. Regrettably......also the same problems!!! Bent ailerons, elevator mass balance units not lining up with the tailplane and a horrible lip on the edge of the cowl to name but a few!

I have not flown the model yet, but I am sure it will go very well. I have watched Ben Goodfellow fly his and it always delivers. however it would not take very much effort at the factory to iron out some very basic errors in the quality control department....even if it put £10 on the price of the model. I have herd rumours that Extreme Flight and Seb Art are produced in the same factory. Can anybody confirm this? Looking at my last few models the quality looks to be almost identical between these two makes.