Watch out Spitfires!

Advert

You know, I read all these reports and only then do I realise how lucky we really are. I just cannot imagine that kind of cold. The flying doctor North of Scotland really amazes me with his fortitude.

Even our high crime rate doesnt put us off from flying. We just make sure that there are always several members at the field. Such a pity that work keeps me away from the field.

Sorry. I did not mean to hijack your thread. (Pardon the pun) I am enjoying your build blog. Looking forward to see some pics of the finished result.

Don't worry rob, i haven't done anything on the '190 for ages so i don't mind an element of 'hijacking' You should try slope soaring up ivinghoe beacon in november in low temperatures with a wind chill aswell! Although we often can't fly because of weather, i likewise can't imagine theft on my field. We fly on private farmland and apart from occasional travellers (often directed towards the farm) we never lose anything. Me and Dad often fly with just us at the field.

Keith Lewzey wrote (see)
Frippin Freezin me Frinks

Dad, this sounds a lot ruder than my earlier comment. i would suggest 'fairly nippy' or 'quite chilly'

Thanks Jonathan and Keith for the info re F/W cowl size it sounds as if it will be very,very tight and probably not viable,especially if the plan is for up to 90 f/s.From memory I think the Gemimi is approx 7 5/8". I will just have to make another choice!

• 1 month later...
Yeah, sorry about that Timbo, i can understand how much work has gone into the switchover and I do normally copy into Word - just forgot this time - I think i got a bit carried away cos i was as bad tempered as this face: .

Cheers Stephen. oh, and i crashed both my shock flyers last indoor night so i wasn't in a good mood anyway!

Hi All Followers of Watch Out Spitfires

All I can say is Watch Out for the Next Installment as when it comes it will show the start of the next major phase. I won't say more than that not wanting to steal Jonathan's thunder, but we had a good day yesterday & the next few days should see significant progress

Whe-hey! The on site image uploader has worked!

Yesterday we started on the wing and have made good progress. Some of the ribs needed to be sandwiched together to increase the strength around the U/C area. I have previoulsy been told that Brian Taylor plans are weak in the U/C area and i should beef this up. Although i will add some extra material it hardly seems necessary due to the well thought out structure and ply doublers.

Next, i added ribs W12-W7 as the further ones have to have a hardwood retract spar which i did not have. Will be calling at a modelshop soon. here is the progress so far on the wing. We took it slowly so to get the ribs exactly vertical and pinned down properly.

a lot of time was spent preparing the board, but expect the wing to progress quickly in the following weeks. have still not decided on retracts, but will probably buy some more economical ones that fit because it seems a shame to use nice retacts on a grass patch and potentially damage them.

Finally, can i say a big thanks to the techy guys for the new image uploader. Now it is working it is clearly better than the old one as the pictures don't have to be less than 250kb.

Right, the remaning ribs are on on the port wing, apart from W1 and W1A (will come to that later) so its looking like this at the moment

The u/c area looks less sturdy than i had previoulsy envisaged, due to the longer hardwood bearer being in two pieces. This is so the pushrod for the mechanical retracts, which i will probably be using, fits. However, it compromises on strength, so i'm going to fit some 1/16 ply reinforcement.

i didn't install the final rib yesterday, because i noticed:
a)It had to go in at the dihedral angle and i would have to make a template.
b)it would have to be cut in half so the dihedral brace/wing joiner would fit. W1a would also have to be modified
c)I couldn't be bothered to do any of those things yesterday

The recent snow has enabled me to stick a few more bits on the plane aswell as revise for my AS levels. These components are: 2 of 3 Leading edge pieces, the aileron spar and aileron end rib (W7a) and about half of the flap spars that fit in between the ribs.

It's strange, isn't it, how the workbench gets more messy every time i post a pic!

Once the final flap spars and L.E. piece is in, the sheeting over the flap area can be done and then its onto the second half of the wing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well i'm back / and having a break from the revision.
The skiing was great especially
-9 runs down the bottom part of the olympic run (red) on the last day
-The blue run halfway down the mountain to the chairlift
-The olympic bobsleigh runwhich i went down
-The very nice hotel and swimming pool.

Anyway, enough of that, the '190 parts have been recovered from a dusty corner of the workshop and work has recommenced.

The wing was removed from the board after the a section of sheet around the flap was applied enabling me to take these photos

and so it began again, but in reverse

Need some obechi for the UC mounting so haven't glued in the UC ribs yet. However, i did manage to get a few shots of the 'preview' wing with most of the ribs slotted in place and the first half propped up against it. Here's the best of the bunch