Tightening and loosenung propnutss

Hi All,

I'm hopefully not going to be shot down in flames for this, but does anyone else have trouble doing up the prop nut tightly on their electric motor.

I've found that I get to a certain tightness and then the motor just starts turning. In order to get it properly tight, I have to insert a screwdriver though a hole in the cowl and into one of the motor's vent holes. Yes, I can hear you all saying 'What!' but no damage is done by this somewhat Heath-Robinson method. But there must be a better way.

Anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? 

Advert

I do not know what adapter type you use.

Myself I always use a Colet (I cannot think of any other type i have), this presents no problem at all in achieving a very firm grip of the motor shaft (to date). I have had the odd one become reluctant to come of though.

Erfolg

I can only endorse what Erfolg said - I too use exclusively the collet type of adapter and I've always managed to tighten them as much as is needed by putting a narrow screwdriver blade or similar through the hole provided in the dome nut or spinner, holding the propeller steady and tightening.  Thus far, I'm happy to say, I've not had a prop come off the shaft!

I agree with your second point too Erfolg - I too have found that the collet adapters sometimes don't want to let go!

Cheers,

Tim.

The adaptor I have came with the Dualsky motor - it bolts onto the motor and turns with the casing (the collets you refer to presumably attaches to the shaft). The adaptor is threaded and allows the use of a full size spinner (as in an IC engine)