1/2 scale Druine Turbulent

reg shaw

Hello Ian,

I’m looking forward seeing your big Turbulent coming to life! I’m still searching about the next project after my small Turbulent and just found your thoughts go into the same direction, the Fournier is one of my candidates, too. Of course because of good looks but also because it shares the same building techniques and engine size.

There’s a lot of home builts which are perfect for models because you can copy so many construction details (and many never or seldom have been built as a rc model).

Timo

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 17/12/2018 18:24:43

The first time I ever saw Ian (a good few years back!) he was flying a quarter scale Fournier (Mick Reeves?) and doing ridiculous low level aerobatics over the runway with complete confidence. Although I'd never met this weird dread-locked bloke before I could tell he had a vague idea what he was doing You can tell how long ago it was because he had all his hair.

His Fournier will be something else, I'm sure. He's already had me looking at smaller Turbulent drawings.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 17/12/2018 20:28:55

Memories aye Geoff, very pleasant ones for me!! Timo, you are certainly right with the design of these little full size wooden aeroplanes, so much can be copied straight off into our model designs. Regarding the Fournier RF4, they must be amongst the most graceful and aerobatic aeroplanes of all time, and all on a Beetle engine! Here's a pic of my 1/2 scale Fournier, designed totally in CAD, complete with all hinge and linkage mechanisms including the spoilers etc. I hasten to add it wasn't me that did the cad bit, though I was present to point at which bits I wanted where and the thicknesses of materials etc. This too will hopefully go well enough on a Zenoah 80 twin, complete with on board starter this time. It'll have to wait a bit yet though. I took it out of the box to see what else I needed, then in about 10 minutes the fuselage had 'clicked' itself together! All unclicked and back in the box again now. It spans out at 5.6 metres give or take.

Ian. ps, you going the indoor do tonight Geoff?

fournier1.jpg

Ian.