1/2 scale Druine Turbulent

reg shaw

Advert

Posted by Martyn K on 06/12/2018 16:36:34:

That full sized Druine link is a superb restore blog Ian. Explains how aircraft were stitched and why.. Now I understand

Ye it is a very interesting thread but I still don't know how they stitch the other side of the wing when you can't get at both sides of the fabric.

Geoff

The main stumbling block in this very simple design is the wing join and mounting to the fuselage. The full size has a one piece wing, four bolts hold it on, two through the front spar and two through the rear. There isn't a top skin on the wing in the cockpit area, so all you see is a one piece main spar, and behind it the joystick is bolted down to some timbers on the top of the bottom wing skin.

It would be easy to have a one piece wing and it would be 'manageable', but it would limit what else I could take to fly, a two piece centre join would be next easiest, but the differences in the cockpit would be obvious and I'd have to connect the joystick up every time the model was assembled. Also a centre join would make the underside of thing at that point more difficult to build as the bottom skin 'flows' from side to side, ie, no kink at the dihedral break.

So I decided to make the wings plug in leaving the cockpit area untact when the wings are removed. I've made up the main spar stubs which will now allow the wings to be started. There is a wooden square tube to be made up and built into the fuselage. This has the external dimensions to match the full size spar, the internal dimensions accept the stubs on the wings. These stubs are cut from 9mm beech sheet in the middle, with 6mm birch ply faces on opposing sides of each. The beech component has a fancy cut involved which makes a tapered dovetail joint which when slid together makes a very rigid joint. When combined with the good fit (hopefully !!) in the fuselage box it should take all the loads from flying, landing etc without issue. This little lot was assembled with Araldite and panel pins and cleaned up whilst the glue was still wipable, hence the bloomin' mess!!

Ian.turb stub spar.jpg

turb stub spar1.jpg

turb stub spar2.jpg

turb stub spar4.jpg

turb stub spar5.jpg

turb stub spar6.jpg

turb stub spar5.jpg

This pic shows the two stubs together. The narrow bit in the middle is where the fuselage box will be. The birch ply plates are at the moment on opposite faces of the spar, ie. one on the front and one on the rear (making a full spar in the fuselage box), but there will be one on each side eventually, but they aren't required at this stage. The U/C mounting brackets are all mounted to this spar, the oleos towards the outer ends of the stubs and the main U/C gubbins further inwards, at the fuselage joint almost, hence the beefy structure around this area.

Edited By reg shaw on 10/12/2018 23:38:43

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 11/12/2018 11:47:15:

This looks great, Ian. I hope you'll turn up one Wednesday evening with a few pieces for us to admire.

Geoff

Every chance of that Geoff, when's the next one? Mr Poyser Rob Shipton and I were just talking about coming to the next, definitely not for the mince pies though you understand?

Cheers, Ian.

The wing mainspar centre section has now been completed, with shear webs added to beyond the U/C mounting positions, the simple wing can now be built onto it.

turb spar 7.jpg

turb spar 8.jpg

turb spar 10.jpg

The rib spacing is all the same after the root rib so its a simple case of shear web, rib, shear web, rib etc etc... making sure to add the correct rib and the correct amount as the spars are over long at the minute! The shear webs are abviously all the same width too, just front and rear spar depths to think about. When I drew up the ribs in ProEngineer they were done to allow for the aileron, slot etc so there are quite a few different ribs to pick from when assembling! Full ribs, ribs without a front, ribs with an aileron, ribs with and aileron and a slot.... Lets see what comes out!!

turb spar 9.jpg

dscf7284.jpg

Fairly productive couple of hours, managed to start building two left panels, another with anhedral and one with a shorter aileron, but eventually settled on the right amount of bits in an opposing pair of wing panels!! The bulk of the ribs and shear webs are mounted on the main spars, left off the first two ribs at the moment as I need to drill for the U/C mounting brackets, but need to make them first. I also aint too sure what happens at the rib that sits under the fuselage side yet so will probably leave that until I have a fuselage side for it to sit under, since the curve of the side will govern the position. Its pleasing how square the structure is even though there is so little of it, mainly due to the lasered ribs and the batch produced shear webs. The spar material is cyparis from Solutions, very accurately cut and glues up a treat. I'm using medium cyano for the bulk of the assembly, though the spar stubs and root shear webs were araldite epoxy. Work drew to a halt as I realized I have to machine a quarter round section of the lower rear spar, to form the start of the aileron shroud, and its a tad late to get the router out!

Ian.

turb wing3.jpg

turb wing4.jpg

turb wing2.jpg

turb wing1.jpg

The proposed motor is a good old Zenoah 80cc flat twin. It'd be nice to have a flat 4 pot four stroke petrol, though sadly that is financially well and truly not in the picture! A good chunk of the Zenoah should be hidden by the 1500 VW engine though and it'll be well silenced with a stainless canister under the cowling.

Ian.

Not much time in the den tonight, but the next unknown seems to work alright. Had a bit of a lash up of the aileron hinges. These are cut from g/f circuit board, and follow the scale external dimensions but they don't bolt onto the airframe like the full size, they interlock around the upper and lower spars so are strong and light(ish!) The inner hinge incorporates the horn, which on the full size is closed loop cable actuated. This can be as the top hown is there to run between the hinge plates but I reckon it'll be a pushrod to the bottom I do. We'll see. When the ribs were drawn up, lots of spacer bits and packers were drawn too, so the skin cutouts in the aileron are all supported. This is all just dry assembled and taped where neccesary as the shear webs need shortening accordingly to suit the hinge plates and packers used in each rib bay. I did a vid of the hinge in action, like some of you forum builders do, but it says its too big and saves me the indignity of admitting that Terence Trent Darby was on the radio at the time, oops...

turb aileron1.jpg

turb aileron2.jpg

turb aileron3.jpg

turb aileron4.jpg

turb aileron5.jpg

Yes Geoff, the plywood wing ribs are lasered by Dylan at Lasercraft as was, the tailplane was lasered by me as its balsa, and the hinge components were cnc routed. I did all the drawing as an exercise to get better at CAD. My next 1/2 scaler is waiting too, a Fournier RF4 which follows similar design to the Turb, I have the bits in waiting!

Ian.