Wing area

I have often wondered that when wing area is quoted in model reviews whether we receive the true calculation.  Take, for example a high wing cabin monoplane of constant chord. Is the total wing span measured, followed by the chord and then multiplied so that we arrive at a figure that includes that area of fuselage the wing sits on? On a low wing aircraft it is more defined what part of the airframe is doing the lifting work so this may receive a different, and correct calculation

I think David A may have the answer!

Advert

I too have wondered about exactly what the definition of "wing area "is  Acouple of years ago I bought my one and only ARTF  A Seagull Extra  & measured the actual wing area -It didn't bear much resemblance to what was written on the box which at the end of the day led me to replace the SC91 I originally fitted with my trusty Irvine 53 & moved all servos forward .Perfect flying characteristics for what I wanted In other words my wing loading was perfect . Sorry I'm going slightly off thread & into the "nostalgia mode "Again

Eric   Why is it that every time I follow these threads (with a bit if modelling inbetween) I end up with more to think about and problems to solve ? OK ! another !  Does the fuselage contribute to"lift" & dont please tell me it depends on the configuration (high or low wing for example )  --Reaches for a beer !

Only 'cos you're a moderate kind of guy  PS  If the shuttle had a bigger fin/rudder then maybe it could do a knife edge manoeuver  ( spell cheque reckyuired )but I dont think that is the name of the game

Very grumpy Myron who forgot to press charge button for 2 seconds to re charge his lipo & waited 4 hours for nothing .Now sorted & the timing/ voltage? Amp hrs etc tied up beautifully.Spot on to within about 10 minutes. Now I am going to get 'er indoors to do a photo shoot holding my conversion to put on the appropriate thread "Models with models " .Dont get too excited chaps 'cos I'not sure how to do it .I know it's been explained over & over but Just can't do it