Mitsubishi Zero

Thanks Alan, and everyone else for the kind remarks. If you've ever built one of Tony's kits, you'll know they pretty much follow the same pattern. Once you've built a couple you can pretty much guarantee they'll follow the same form and become much easier. I don't know if Tony gets the kudos for his excellent plans, but he defo gets it from me. As it happens I can report a bit of progress with regards to the motor and functional set up. I was having real problems with the servos! When I moved the gear the flaps moved, when I put in aileron the rudder moved. It was doing my head in!! I tried changing Rx's, servos, everything, but then the penny dropped. I have always used a übec on my models. For some reason I thought a 70amp Inbuilt Sbec would be sufficient for this model? I only chance read that in built Bec 's supply 2 to 3 amps towards the servos. Nowhere near enough for 7 servos, two of them being retract servos!!! What a numpty? I've stuck a Übec on the ESC, and guess what? Yup, sweet as a nut. Everything running perfect. Can't believe I was so simple. Arghhh, two days I'll not get back in my life! Anyway, I've managed to do a prop, motor ESC test, and I've got great results. Set up is a Turnigy G60 400kv, 3 blade 16 x 8, 70 amp ESC with a now 5v übec, on a 6s 4500 mah lipo, giving me 1500 Watts per pound on a 9.5 lb model. Even my poor maths would reckon it's capable of lifting off the ground? Again thanks for the kind words.

John

Why? I don't think the enjoyment of model building is necessarily about what you achieve in the workshop, nice though that is. I think it's about lying in bed trying to figure out what you're going to do next, or how you're gonna overcome the next problem. I put my head on the pillow Every night, and think " what can I achieve with the build tomorrow "? Wether I achieve it or not is irrelevant, I know the model is still there, and the problem is still there and one day I'll get to it. I'm lucky I guess? I'm in the position to spend at least a couple of hours a day in the workshop. However, I really appreciate it

• 2 months later...

Hi John, I was thinking of building the Zero from Tony's plan when I came across your posts. What a fantastic model ! Have you flown her yet? if so can you give some details. I was thinking along the lines of ic power eg an DLE 20. Do you think the structure would be suitable?

• 6 months later...

Hi John, whats your AUW for the Zero? Fantastic build! I love it.

I am thinking of starting this build too. I havent much experience but reading up a lot and got Dave platt video's to get me started. I done some modelling a long time ago and consider myself to be reasonably capable

Thanks,

Jeroen

• 2 months later...

I have been building this to and have converted to DLE20, am at covering stage now so will let you know how I get on. Mine is Scratch built from the plan no CNC bits and also made own canopy an engine cowl also. Nice forum it has helped me thanks.

Terry from NZ

Hi Jerome, sorry not been on site for a while and didn't get your post, AUW was 9lb 7oz, I've not flown it yet but I will when the weather gets better in a couple of months.

Terry and David I have no idea what motor would be suitable? I only deal in electric trickery and really have no knowledge of engines, sorry.

You've got a job on your hand building from scratch Terry, I did it with a fairey swordfish !!! I won't be repeating it ! CNC cut parts are a real bonus, you feel as if you're building a plane from the plans, just a bit easier. Good luck with yours