Mitsubishi Zero

Cuban, it's mostly water so most of that 6 coats evaporates. This is where you have to balance the weight of cloth against how much resin will be needed to fill the weave, lighter cloths have a more open weave as I discovered when I used 12gm cloth on my Eros and needed many coats of Poly-C to fill it. I think 25gm cloth works out lighter overall though I've never proved it with a test piece. Next time I use it I intend to try adding micro balloons to the Poly-C after the first couple of coats to help fill the weave.

back to the OP - nice work with the litho Johnthumbs up. I wish I had the patience for work like that.

Thanks Bob. I can see where you're coming from Cuban, but the selling point for me is that you don't have to get it on before it goes off. It's really just like painting emulsion and it covers really well, dry within minutes. Fill a container, paint on, leave for twenty mins then do another covering. No need to clean brushes in between, just leave them in the Poly c. It becomes addictive, every time I have a spare ten minutes I give it a covering, and best of all the finish just gets better and better with every coat you put on.

img_0056.jpgOla Todos.

Well a bit of progression on a couple of fronts. I've decided to Rivet the model as per the real un! Started tonight, The zero doesn't have proud rivets, so got me drill out and went to work. I don't think it looks too bad? The cowling has proud rivets, and I like the look of that also. I'm thinking of painting all silver!! I know near the end of the war, the Japenese needed their planes so bad that they didn't bother painting them, and they were sent out in their factory silver.

On another front, after twenty years of building and flying models on my Jack Jones, I've joined a model flying club!!! I've built quite a few models which require a runway, and I'm no longer content spending 3 months building a plane, hanging in it up and then getting the Chucky out for weekend. Time to fly em!! I Joined Bury Metro Flying club yesterday and I'm looking forward to some good weather and meeting the guys up there! Bit of trepidation on my part cos I heard some model clubs are not so welcoming? But I've heard nothing but good about Bury. Wish me luck! img_0053.jpg

Good luck John, I only joined my club 2 years ago after being soloist for far too long. I do fly on occasions solo as we allow it in my club, but i do enjoy a good turnout of members even if not all fly but enjoy a tea and exaggerated tales.

Any how your model is looking brilliant, Danny Fenton will be excited to know there is another madcap riveter out there. If you go mad, start seeing dots everywhere and get taken away by the men in white coats I will understand.

the photo shots are really good too

bbc

Edited By bouncebounce crunch on 23/03/2017 09:04:53

Weight without nose lead 8 lb 11 oz, and another 12 ounces of lead to get it to balance!! Au weight 9 lbs 7 oz. Tony states 9 lb 5 oz with leeway for a couple of pounds overweight. So I reckon I'm pretty happy with that. I have a bit of wiggle room to put a bit larger capacity battery up front, which would be preferable to lead, however those batteries are still in the Hobby Shop and my pockets have been depleted!!!! Next is riveting on the wings and then paiinting.img_0063.jpg

Weight without nose lead 8 lb 11 oz, and another 12 ounces of lead to get it to balance!! Au weight 9 lbs 7 oz. Tony states 9 lb 5 oz with leeway for a couple of pounds overweight. So I reckon I'm pretty happy with that. I have a bit of wiggle room to put a bit larger capacity battery up front, which would be preferable to lead, however those batteries are still in the Hobby Shop and my pockets have been depleted!!!! Next is riveting on the wings and then paintingimg_0063.jpg

img_0070.jpgOn the last leg, and all about how detailed I want to go? As I've said, it's gonna be silver, so I've been messing with silver foil, paint and stuff. What I can say. If any of you gents want to use silver, then go to the Range and get some wheel paint silver! Normally if you mask silver paint it leaves a mark from the masking tape and it's a pain in the arse!! This stuff is the doggsey's. Best find for ages, so manageable. I love it.img_0071.jpg

img_0085.jpgimg_0084.jpgWell I reckon apart from a bit weathering, that's the Fuz pretty much finished. I couldn't get the wood and plastic spinner to balance to my satisfaction, so opted for a metal spinner. It means I now have a gap between the cowling an the back of the spinner, it doesn't look very scale, but it's balanced to perfection, so I can live with it. I have done the rivet holes on the wings, just got to sand it back, give it a paint and then it'll be ready for motor, prop testing.img_0083.jpg