Mitsubishi Zero

Thanks guys, it's called metalcoat, real sheet aluminium Dwain. Mick Reeves sells it on his web site. Cheap as chips and really good for anything that that requires a metal finish. Your right, it is crying out for detail. This is my chipmunk cockpit. Summit similar IS required I thinkwp_20160324_19_30_28_pro.jpg

Zero noseZero noseNot a bad effort today! Managed to put the exhausts on. They are bit too large, however if you've ever tried flattening aluminium tube without it splitting, you'll appreciate how much effort it takes. I've managed to work them into something looking like the original and there, they shall remain! I am however really chuffed with the cannon exit ports on the nose. Had to scratch my baldy head for a while for a solution. I cut a teardrop hole and then glued formed litho plate under. I can foresee the question " how can he put an iron on covering over that? I don't. I don't glass neither! Poly C is the way forward. So long as you use sanding sealer, and the patience to put six or seven coats of poly C on, the job is a good un.Zero nose

Posted by John Laverick on 10/03/2017 21:06:07:

Not a bad effort today! Managed to put the exhausts on. They are bit too large, however if you've ever tried flattening aluminium tube without it splitting, you'll appreciate how much effort it takes.

Have you tried annealing the aluminium first? Coat it with ordinary soap and heat evenly with a blowtorch until it turns dark brown/black. Let it cool and it should have softened. Work the aluminium straight away - and if you're doing any complex work, re-anneal it as soon as you detect it work hardening. Don't anneal a batch and expect to use it in a few days time as it also age hardens rapidly.

Lovely build John, the detailing is superb. Regarding Poly C, I have never used it but presumable you use sanding sealer first to stop it soaking in to the wood? Do you find it adds much weight? I guess you rub down with wet and dry or sandpaper between coats of the Poly C. I still haven't covered my A4 Skyhawk yet and I was not looking forward to covering it with film. A friend of mine used Poly C on the wings of a Vampire he built but he found the wing skins distorted when it dried. Sorry to ask silly questions.

img_0051.jpgimg_0050.jpgimg_0049.jpgOla todos, been busier than it may look! Canopy in place, prop and spinner fitted, battery compartment sorted to accept two 3s 5000's in series. Sanding sealer applied, sanded down and then six coats of Poly C added. Will make a decision this weekend as to how much detailing it will have!! The Zero has a lot of rivets. On a side note, if your gonna use Poly C, make sure you sand down after applying the sanding sealer. The effort taken makes for a much better finish. No golf today, chucking it down as normal in Greater Manchester!!! That means a full day in the bunker. Gonna get the wings sorted me thinks?img_0048.jpg