Cardboard Delivery Drones

aclk

I don't know if anyone else subscribes to "New Atlas". It used to be called Gizmag and is free. It is full of fascinating things and many of those are aviation related. There is now an idea for cardboard delivery drones (fixed wing, not rotary) that are themselves the packaging and are not re-used. As flying machines they certainly look viable. Talk about controversial and all kinds of reactions are provoked by ideas like this. One thing is for sure, something is going to happen.

I tried to copy a link and I don"t know if it has worked, but if you put "New Atlas" into Google you'll find it.

Advert

Thank you John. I suppose that if they turned these things out in millions the electronics would become a "throw-away" cost item. You're right about them not being bio-degradable though! The other interesting point of course is that these things aren't powered. They would be released from some high level delivery system and glide down under directional control. It all sounds crazy but it is foolish to be surprised by anything these days.

I'd look to see a plan for the flying parcel, it looks like it could make a very cheap slope soarer, good for flying combat and no really worries about replacement cost!

I'm glad I started this! Mark's effort is to be commended! The DARPA stuff says that those flown so far can carry a kilo, but that designs capable of carrying up to 10kgs are feasible. Tests have been carried out dropping these from C17s and they reckon range can be up to 55miles. They must be letting them go from a fair old altitude and I wonder what air speed to avoid these things breaking up? Bob's been reading the same stuff, where it describes the electronics being biodegradable as well.

Fancy Cuban8 finding about bat bombs, I hadn't heard of that one. I see that they were Mexican bats as well, don't tell Donald Trump, it'll start to give him some new ideas.

BEB might have the right idea though, a short cut directly to the black bin bag might cut out all of the pain in between! As he suggests, we've been doing that for years anyway.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 27/01/2017 16:58:59

• 2 months later...